bottle from keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuu

Reaction score
I've got my 3rd batch in a keg now and was wondering the best way to get it into a growler to take away from home base. Can I just hook a beer out like to a bottle filler attachment and fill with that? I don't want to spend the 70+ on a beer gun...

Depending on the type of faucet you have, the technique differs a bit. But it basically boils down to a short length of hose that can be jammed up into the faucet securely and then reaches to the bottom of your growler so it fills from the bottom up without oxidation or foaming. Chilling the growler in your fridge or freezer can make the process easier, so can dialing down the pressure a bit.

On my set-up, after filling a pint glass to get the first foamy one out of the way, I can simply stick a ~12" length of racking tubing into the faucet, pull the handle, and let it rip.

I don't plan on bottling something that will be in the growler for more than a couple hours so I don't think I will worry too much about oxidation. I tried doing the tubing with my faucet....wasn't pretty, which is why I wanna try a spring loaded bottling wand and low pressure on the keg.

Check out Biermuncher's bottle filler. Basically picnic tap with a bottling wand jammed in it. Works good I have no complaints. Bleed off headspace pressure set regulator to 3-5PSI Just enough to push the beer. Works no problems. Alot cheaper.

Oh that's quite a good idea I have been thinking about bottling some brew for transportation and because I only have two kegs I can use, and my third one reserved for filtering.

Oh that's quite a good idea I have been thinking about bottling some brew for transportation and because I only have two kegs I can use, and my third one reserved for filtering.

Yea exactly my predicament. I have a couple cases of grolsch bottles and 2 kegs. And a couple 1L growlers. When I wanna bring my beer to a friends to watch a game or something. I rather not have to go buy a sixer when I have brew I like at home.

I get my second beer out tomorrow so I'll rig it up and post how that worked.

Yeah I started my initial brewing with Mr. Beer and hated bottling so much that I started real Home Brewing with kegs but this can be problematic as you have pointed out. I have been slowly saving beer bottles and I will certainly be making this bottle filler.

Just a tube and a filler works....AT VERY LOW PRESSURE. otherwise....its really not pretty lol.

I do a 1/4 or 3/8 tubing on a picnic tap, straight out of the tap into a growler (if I'm really lazy and i'm doing low carb beers, or a counter-pressure bottle filler if I want the bottles to last. CPBF is slow as heck, so I don't do it often (although I use it to purge bottles/growlers with CO2 sometimes).

Latest posts

Back