Bottle fermented?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

venquessa

Reaction score
My GF asked if I wanted anything from the beer shop, she was going for cider. I said, just a handful of random beers please :)

Never knew what I'd get. I got:

An Erdinger Weifbier.... and I opened it, poured it and went, "WTF?", it's cloudy.... okay. I'd already read it was a wheat beer "Wief, I assumed is Wheat." the cloudiness and the smell of yeast did make me ponder until I read on the back of the bottle - WHEAT BEER - Bottle Fermented.

Do you think they actually ferment it in the bottle?

To be honest, it actually tastes like uncleared homebrew, just a lot 'cleaner', not a lot of off flavours that I can tell, just yeast.

... and freakiest thing, it clears up in the glass!

"BING", it clicks. It's bottle fermented, it has a yeast cake.... or rather it "had" until it got shaken up in transit and thrown into the fridge.

This means it was bottle conditioned. People harvest yeast from bottle conditioned ales, but be aware that some breweries use one strain to ferment, then use another strain to condition. Not all, but just be aware.

Oh and I took a look at the bottle you mentioned. That's not an F, that's a double s, like ss. :p

Teromous said:
This means it was bottle conditioned. People harvest yeast from bottle conditioned ales, but be aware that some breweries use one strain to ferment, then use another strain to condition. Not all, but just be aware.

Oh and I took a look at the bottle you mentioned. That's not an F, that's a double s, like ss. :p

Erdinger is a good one ... Especially the dunkelweizen. For all Weiss beer you should pour gently until about 1-1.5 " left in the bottle. The swirl the bottle around to lift the sediment off the bottom of the bottle and then pour it all in the glass. The beer will look clear before the swirl step and stay cloudy after pouring in the sludge from the bottom of the bottle. This I have observed all or Germany and had explained to me in exacting detail!

Back