Bottle Dregs too Old? 4 Years! & Maybe... This Year...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEWNCfarms

Reaction score
80462769-9167-42A4-B6B0-C9AC4B9A42F8.jpeg 4B3A1BAA-4903-420B-A316-2FB62582D567.jpeg 1235846E-3D3E-48A0-B781-5CE045857FA6.jpeg So bought two more 12oz bottles dregs of Bam Biere from Jolly Pumpkin, and was planning on using them for a clone. The bottle date is 10/2014. Is this too old? I was still planning on using them, but I was going to Only use dregs, and wonder if I should have a back up Bug pack on stand by?

Also just bought two bottles of Brouwerij Alvinne Sigma, and I Love it! It tastes like one of the first two Real Sours I ever had which got me into brewing. So I was going to save the other bottle to pitch in a Flemish Brown. The bottle I drink says MRT: 2018 on the cap and of course the other bottle doesn’t have that... I’m assuming that means it was made/bottled in 2018?

Didn’t know if anyone has tried to clone this Sigma or used its dregs? From what I gather it’s only a house Sacch yeast “Morpheus” and LAB, and fermented in SS, which is really surprising because it has such full flavor instead of the bland sour candy lactic acid sours sold everywhere nowadays.

The last image is the jolly pumpkin.

I have not used dregs to obtain yeast. I've read that very old yeast has been revived in laboratories. You would need to make a starter in any case from bottle dregs, probably with several steps. If they're dead your starter won't ferment. Try it and let us know.

I have not used dregs to obtain yeast. I've read that very old yeast has been revived in laboratories. You would need to make a starter in any case from bottle dregs, probably with several steps. If they're dead your starter won't ferment. Try it and let us know.
Cool yeah I’m going to do it! I guess if I’m going to be stepping it up I should start now if I plan to use it in some weeks to come?

Is there any way to distinguish how much I would have?

And i was going to use the shaken not stirred method in a plastic jug? but I guess if I want the LAB to grow too I don’t need to shake as much... I hope I can find a good balance with that, maybe just start with one bottle.

Well after writing that I realized I’ll be following steps from others who suggest starting it in the bottle and stepping up from there, etc...

I don't know how to tell how much viable yeast you have, but I think following proven methods is best. I use a growler or glass jug for starters and just shake.
Cool will do. Yeah I do have some growlers, do you use a stopper and airlock or foil? Or the lid and pop the lid ever so often?

Back