Bottle drainer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matc

Reaction score
Do you need to sanitize the bottle drainer before placing the bottles ?

I would just to be on the safe side. You don't want to have invested so much time and energy and then have it go to waste. I don't bottle any more (too lazy) but when I did I always cleaned the bottle rack in PBW and then sanitized with starsan. I would make the sanitizing solution in a spray bottle and just spray it down and let it air dry. I never had a contamination in a bottle.

-jason

Everything that touches my wines gets sanitised every time they touch it, Including myself.

When I bottle, the recieving carboy, siphon tubes, bottle wand, corker, corks, and my hands are totally soaked and nicely sanitised.

When I draw samples for testing - the Hydrometer, the testing tube, and the turkey baster get sanitised.

As was said, you have spent a great deal of time and effort brewing it, the extra few minutes that it takes to kill the potential of bugs, makes it all worth while.

Kilroy

Ok. It's because i wanted to make my own bottle drainer out of wood but since it needs to be sanitized i'll buy it instead. Wood with water and bleach isn't really good...

matc07098702 said:
Ok. It's because i wanted to make my own bottle drainer out of wood but since it needs to be sanitized i'll buy it instead. Wood with water and bleach isn't really good...
Look at getting a Bottle tree,
http://www.homebrewit.com/aisle/1070
They work very well, and pack up nicely inbetween uses.

Kilroy

if your dryer will be touching the inside of the bottle. (read a dowel rod going inside off a board) i would say yes. But with my set up, no. I took two sheets of 1/2 MDF i had laying around from a car audio project i did. cut 6 chunks of 2"x2" i also had laying around to i think 3"s if memory serves. i then drew a grid on the top board and took a 2" hole saw and proceeded to drill out 94 holes in the top board. the holes are big enough for the bottle mouth to sit in part way up the neck. (its worked for every bottle i have used so far) I sprayed about 5 coats of schelac on all of it, so its basically waterproof. it kinda looks something like this (side view)

--------------------------------------
I I I
--------------------------------------

it holds 94 bottles total. i clean em, sanitize em, rinse em, then stick em upside down through the holes and let em sit for about 5 to ten minutes to dry. then i bottle.

homebrewer_99 said:
Sounds like a good project.

I would have built one myself, but I already have 2 drying trees that holds about 160 bottles. :D

couldnt really justify the cost em em though. especially since all this set up cost me was 8 bucks for a couple cans of shelac, i already had the other materials handy. took me about an hour total. most time consuming part was drilling all the holes. and it works great. when we're ready to bottle, we just flip em, fill em, cap em, and flip em back upside down to test the caps right there on the bottling board

Hey i decided to make my own bottle drainer finally. I drilled 50 2'' holes in a 1x3 sheet of wood. It cost me about 6 bucks. A tree drainer cost like 20-30 bucks on internet

Back