Bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrblessing1

Reaction score
My beer is going to be bottle conditioned for 2 weeks this Sunday. Could I chill it now for 2 days to try and drink or should I chill starting Sunday then drink?

I would do one at a time till it gets were you want it. Try one now if it makes you happy chill all of them. If not wait till Sunday and try another.

One at a time...take notes in your brew notebook, so next time with this recipe you will know the sweet spot.

Your beer will carbonate in less than 2 weeks but it may not produce a head yet. 2 weeks might be enough at room temp, 3 weeks is nearly certain for it to produce a good head. Some beers take longer to mature too. I'd suggest you leave any you aren't drinking immediately out in room temp until 24 to 48 hours before you intend to drink them as they will continue to improve.

Much will depend on the particular beer. If it is a higher gravity beer, you are going to need more time. If it is something a bit lighter, 2 weeks might be enough. Personally, I would wait another week.

I find that some are carbonated in 2 weeks. IMO, all of my bottled beers were better at 3 weeks or longer. Try one. If it is good, maybe chill a couple more. When I have bottled beers I chill 6-12 at a time. Then chill more as needed.

^^ A lot of good answers to your question. I normally wait 4 weeks for before chilling/drinking any. But I've drank some at 2-3 weeks too and it was good tasting beer.

For most mid ABV beers that aren't too dark:

1-2 weeks - probably a bit green, but worth sampling if you have a lot and you really hate waiting

2-3 weeks - probably just about all the way there, but not quite. Drink up if you want, but try to restrain yourself to save as many as you can for...

4+ weeks up to shelf life - the business

Always seems a bit better the longer it sits, naturally. But fear not! Chill and crack one open. 2 weeks is plenty of time to carb up. I've had some beers carbed in as little as 3 to 4 days. Of course a little green but definitely enjoyable!

Back