Bottle Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabrew8

Reaction score
What are everyone's thoughts on shaking the bottles every other day to get the beer to carb faster?

I read it on the "Aging beer: Facts, myths, and discussion" sticky..

I wouldn't bother. But I'm pretty anal and I worry about silly things. For instance, the head space in the bottle has oxygen which the yeast will use to carbonate the beer. But if you go shaking it before they have a chance to do it.....might you be just oxygenating your brew? Like I said, I'm probably over thinking it.

I've never been in that much of a hurry, and there's plenty of yeast cells suspended in a moderate gravity ale to do their deed without outside help. If it seems sluggish I just find them a warmer home for a few days.

I also drink a bunch of flat beer along the way though.

I've never been in that much of a hurry, and there's plenty of yeast cells suspended in a moderate gravity ale to do their deed without outside help. If it seems sluggish I just find them a warmer home for a few days.

I also drink a bunch of flat beer along the way though.

Funny, i drink flat beer too. I don't mine it with some beer. And its interesting tasting the different stages of the beer.

Youll stir up all the sediment doing that. I wouldn't.

You can if you want though

Youll stir up all the sediment doing that. I wouldn't.

You can if you want though

It was cold crashed for 2 days and its notty yeast, It will be clear in 2 days with a compact cake. Giving the bottle a little shake won't effect the cake much.

I think i will just do it with a 6 pack. Never know...

The day after priming & capping my bottles, I turn them each upside down (slowly!) and then right-side up again. That's just to insure the sugar is properly dispersed, although I understand it's not necessary, as the yeast will find the sugar. It just makes me feel better.

Shake them up? Not me.

Nope. Just be patient and let the yeast work. After putting two weeks fermenting time and another couple weeks conditioning regardless, what's another day more or less when you risk oxidizing your beer?

Back