Bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My first ipa is in my primary now, I'm going to rack it to the secondary in a couple of days and dryhop it for about two weeks. After this it'll be time to bottle. I plan on bottle conditioning it with dextrose. Its a five gal batch; how much dextrose do I need to use? And will there be enough live yeast cells to create the secondary fermentation and produce enough carbonation to make it good? Or do I need to add yeast?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Home Brew mobile app

I've let beers go in primary 1 month and then 1 month in secondary and bottle conditioned them just fine, just takes longer the longer to carbonate the longer it's been since you brewed.

Curious, why Dextrose? Common, white table sugar is perfectly fine for carbonating bottle conditioned beers and will not change the flavor.

I've been told by the LHBS in Green Bay that using table sugar can give a beer a cidery taste. Is that true?

I have only ever used ordinary cane sugar ( table sugar ).
Priming with .8oz per gal ( that's U S gal , I am in the UK )

i like this priming calculator: http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

you don't need to use a secondary. you can dry-hop in primary. transferring to secondary will increase your chances of oxidation and contamination somewhat for little gain.

2 weeks is a long time to dry-hop. 1 weeks is plenty.

i've bottle primed with both dextrose and with sucrose (table sugar), i haven't noticed any difference. that amount you add isn't enough to make a flavor impact.

cider taste: some older texts, like papazian's "joy of homebrewing", say that too much sugar can lead to cider-like tastes when used in large quantities. i'm not sure that statement applies when you used sufficient fresh yeast, aerate well, etc. some belgian ales are over 20% sugar (AKA a lot), they use regular sucrose, and you don't get cider flavors. a few ounces at bottling isn't going to make any impact on flavor.

Clankenbrew, the tabs are ok, but not as good as priming the whole brew in the bottling bucket with sugar solution.

I'm really only using the secondary fermenter for the dry hop to improve clarity. And thanks for the link its perfect.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Home Brew mobile app

Back