bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlayton92

Reaction score
So ive got almost 48 hoegarrden bottles will the hold up to the pressure of conditioning

tlayton92 said:
So ive got almost 48 hoegarrden bottles will the hold up to the pressure of conditioning

I believe they will be fine. Almost any beer bottle can be reused and be safe.

They don't have twist tops, do they? Those are harder to seal.

Yeah,you def want pop top bottles. Otherwise,48-12oz bottles is the average number needed for 5 gallons of beer. 53 bottles tops. And if they're 11.2oz,like Paulaner bottles,that 48 could become 50.

Most commercial beer bottles are designed to hold up to about 4.0 atmospheres of carbonation pressure before they start to experience any stress.

Most beers are carbonated to about 2.3-2.6 atmospheres.

TopherM said:
Most commercial beer bottles are designed to hold up to about 4.0 atmospheres of carbonation pressure before they start to experience any stress.

Most beers are carbonated to about 2.3-2.6 atmospheres.

Atmospheres or volumes? I believe 1atm = 14psi, so you are talking about 33-40 psi?

I've used them, they're fine.

Where they carbonated when you drank the beer out of them?

That's doesn't necessarily mean anything. IF the beer was forced carbed initially then it really doesn't matter, the bottles can be thinner than if it was a bottle conditioned beer. They just need to handle the PSI of the beer where it's at, NOT the psi spike during bottle conditioning. That's why you can use a growler to bring your favorite beer back from the brewpub, but shouldn't try to bottle condition in it or else you'll join the "growler goes boom" club.

Though I've yet to find an industry standard beer bottle that COULDN'T handle bottle carbing, it doesn't mean they don't exist, where people are cutting costs these days you never know when some pencil necked geek in accounting my realize they can save 1 tenth of a cent on each bottle by using a thinner one with a lower psi rating that's just barely higher than the level of co2 of the force carbed beer.

1 atmophere = 14.7 PSI.

Typical commercial beer bottles are rated to 45 PSI. Thicker Belgian beer bottles are rated to 70 PSI.

I'm sure those are both conservative #s. I've bottle carbed a Hefeweizen to 3.8 atmospheres, or about 56 PSI, in random commercial beer bottles without any bottle bombs.

Back