Bottle Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abs2003

Reaction score
Ok, yesterday I just bottled my first batch of beer, a Nut Brown Ale. I boiled 3/4 cup of corn sugar in 2 cups of water, let it cool, added to my bottling bucket, siphoned beer into that, then bottled. I tasted one of em just to see how it was, it was flat, but it tasted pretty f'ing good for not conditioning yet. My question is, what kind of activity, if any, will I see in the bottles? How can I tell if it is carbonating at a decent rate? Thanks.

im under the impression that the carbonation process is not something you can see, especially if youre using some nice, dark brown bottles.

Wheat King said:
im under the impression that the carbonation process is not something you can see, especially if youre using some nice, dark brown bottles.

You're pretty much right. I brewed a double IPA that was perfectly clear by the time I bottled it. It's been the only one I could see the build up of sediment on the bottom of the bottles.

I usually just put my bottles in a cool, dark place until it's time to drink. I don't think you're going to see anything happening.

ayrton said:
I usually just put my bottles in a cool, dark place until it's time to drink. I don't think you're going to see anything happening.

I've been bottling a few in clear bottles from each batch. Starting at about 5 days I'll give 'em a gentle shake and look at the amount of bubbles it creates against a light. I dunno if that is really any kind of scale to go by though. For all I know, tap water would bubble the same way if shaken in a clear bottle. :drunk:

wait at least a week, then crack one open... you will hear the carbonation before you see it build up in a bottle.

Will it be a rolling boil like you see in a glass carboy? NO, there is not a whole lot of activity as far as fermentation going on inside the bottle, just enough to create some carbonation.

Back