Bottle Conditioning Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vllllllllll

Reaction score
Hello there!

I'm getting ready to bottle condition about 8 gallons of cider by adding some un-pasteurized cider to it. The 8 gallons I have ready to bottle has fermented completely out. I'm thinking about a gallon of fresh un-pasturized cider will be enough to condition it, but I'm not sure. I'd like to see if anyone out there had any advice on how much I should add. I'm sure it depends on how much sugar and wild yeast is in the fresh cider I get a hold of (information I don't have), so I'm just looking for a rough idea.

Thanks for your time!

Is there a list of nutritional contents on the bottle of fresh cider? I seem to remember doing the calculations based on the sugar content of the juice I was using, which was 26g per 250mL. I added 40mL of pasteurized apple juice to each 500mL bottle before filling and capping it. I haven't opened any of them yet but it's been about 6 months and none of them have exploded so I can be sure that I didn't add way too much sugar - can't guarantee they aren't over carbed though...

assuming the juice to prime with is 1.050 in gravity, in order to prime 8 gallons of hard cider you would need 0.48 gallons. with different gravities, it would be lower/higher.

Thanks for your help! Turned out to be about 1.040. I'm going to go with a half gallon anyway to be on the safe side. Thanks again!

Back