Bottle Conditioning in an Apartment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
This question is really for anyone living in an apartment without access to a basement or central air...

How do you go about regulating the temperature during bottle conditioning? While winter is coming soon and living in NE this won't be an issue for me for several months, it can get up to th high 90s in the summer and I have no space for an extra fridge ect... to keep my bottles cool (I barely have space to keep my fermentor cool).

What effect will this have on my conditioning/long term viability and does anyone have any ideas on how I can keep the temp down?

Sounds like the space under your bed has just become your cellar. It would be dark and probably the coolest spot in your place. If there is no/not enough hieght, you could invest $10-15 in a set of "bed risers" to get the needed clearance. Or perhaps the bottom of a closet. you could even rig up some duct work to force some of that cold air to the bottles.

A basement is ideal... however, I stored my carboy in a closet and watched the temp everyday. If the temp were too high I would put a wet towel over the carboy. My old apartment was a second level, but I never had a problem with high temperatures during winter months. I like the idea of using an A/C though.

Tim Hennig
Appleton, WI :)

I have never brewed in a house. Always have lived in an apartment and never had a problem. Don't think too hard on this one... just put the cases in a closet or something. Keep em out of the sunlight you know. You'll be fine as long as they stay moderately room temp (outside of the dead of summer in 105 degree rooms that is... I also use an AC in the Summer).

I ferment in one of these puppies. Only about 40 bucks worth of materials and you can ferment at atleast 65 no problem with (2) 2 liter bottles of frozen water a day. I say atleast 65 cause that's all I've tested it down to (while the ambient room temp is >80, at times higher than 90). PM me if you're interested and I can link you the plans or just search for "Fermenter Chiller" on google.

finishedtop_sm.JPG

Back