Bottle conditioning in a growler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orleans

Reaction score
Know this has prob been discussed before--but-- can you bottle condition beer in a 1/2 gal growler? Will the screw-on caps with stand the presure? Any body tried this? thanks, jm

I've not personally done it, so obviously I've not had any problems, but it's my understanding that glass growlers are not designed to withstand the pressure. Proceed with caution.

Rick

I have read several posts that Growlers are not designed to handle that bottle pressure. You can fill with carbonated beer, but you don't want to condition in them. That's a big bottle bomb...not worth the risk.

You can use a few 22 oz bomber bottles. Dont even chance it.

A lot of the posts I've read mention the bottoms of the growlers blow out due to that being the weakest part of the bottle. Growlers are for carbonated beer, not carbonating beer.

DON'T DO IT!

I had a massive bottle bomb go off when I was first starting brewing and didn't know any better. Luckily no one got hurt. It could've been real bad..

I've done it a about 4 or 5 times with good results. I'm partial to english low-carbonated styles, so I think the most I've ever done is 2.1 volumes or so. I put the growler in a 5 gallon bucket with a snap down lid (walmart icing bucket) just in case.

stoneBriar said:
I've done it a about 4 or 5 times with good results. I'm partial to english low-carbonated styles, so I think the most I've ever done is 2.1 volumes or so. I put the growler in a 5 gallon bucket with a snap down lid (walmart icing bucket) just in case.

I've carb'd in 1/2 gallon growlers as well. Several times actually. Always been fine. I think it all depends on the temp of the place you are carbing/aging in. I've done this in my upstairs pantry as well as my basement. No problem.

I've carbed in growlers before as well with fine results. Except one serious bottle bomb. Won't ever do it again, I was handling bottles near it when it went off.

my granny & grampa ran out of bottles once. they decided to use some of those old school heavy glass cider jugs. they all went off. growlers are not made as well as those 1950's glass jugs. don't risk it.

Sure, go ahead and use it if you want to risk it. It'll blow up, or leak in any which case that you won't have beer to drink when it's done.

This is not a good idea. Period.

This discussion is also a classic example of where people chime in with "I've done it and it was fine." Just because some people have yet to experience the inevitable and possibly dangerous result of one blowing up on or near them doesn't mean you should also take that chance.

My .02

I've carbed in growlers before as well with fine results. Except one serious bottle bomb. Won't ever do it again, I was handling bottles near it when it went off.

Classic example of why not to do it.:eek: As reamed over and over its -russian roulette.

Just from the size standpoint I would rather have a small bottle bomb than a large one.

I will reiterate what everyone above me said and say bad idea. It can be done, but really shouldn't. Not to mention the fact that since you do not pour an entire growler in one go you will pull the conditioning yeast sediment back into solution after your first pour and will not have the beautiful clear beer you would otherwise from a smaller bottle.

I take it you are not enjoying cleaning/delabeling/capping the multitude of bottles. I would suggest switching to 22's or kegging. Safer, less work, though kegging is more expensive in equipment and less sharable until you start bottling from the keg or filling the growlers from there.

+1 on 22 ouncers or even 1 liter flip tops. Check with local redemption center and work out a deal for them to put em aside for you (give em 10 cents instead of what they would get for example). Shop there once in a while if they sell beer, etc.
+1 to all of the warnings above - they are right on the money.

Back