Bottle Conditioning From Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodTruble

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I usually make holiday mix-packs for friends. But this year, almost all the beers I want to include are already kegged.

I have a counter-pressure bottle filler. But it doesn't get optimal results and will be a PITA for bottling 6 different beers from kegs.

So I was wondering if it is possible to just add a bit of liquid primer to the bottles and then just fill directly from the chilled kegs/taps; Let the bottles sit at room temp a few days and then restore the lost carb through bottle conditioning? Or will the yeast from a chilled, carbed keg be too unreliable?

I'm also planning on just using plastic bottles this year (because getting all the bottles back from various people was a pain and I don't want to lose 60 glass bottles at once).

Yea? Nay? Something else?

Personally, I'd accept the PITA, fill another keg with StarSan, and then after bottling one type, plug into the StarSan to rinse the filler, and move on to the next. I attach a beer gun to my kegerator to do the same thing on occasion.

I got rid of my counter pressure bottle filler gun for a TapCooler counter pressure filler, super easy to use, takes seconds to hook up. I use it to ship beers to comps, never had an issue with bottles losing CO2. Don't even have to really turn pressure down on kegs to fill, unless you have a high PSI beer. Can purge bottles of air with CO2 and add a burst of gas after filling too, if you get the ball lock connect connection. Takes me about 2 minutes to bottle and cap a six pack. Tapcooler Counter Pressure Bottle Filler | MoreBeer

@Broken Crow - Good suggestion. Though, I would probably just shoot myself a couple of blended 1/2 pints to clear the bottle filler between beers.

@jdauria - I have the Nukatap equivalent, but I haven't been able to get good results with it. Maybe I just need to practice with it a bit more.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/nukatap-counter-pressure-bottle-filler.html
Hmmm...this is what I do...before use, remove the pressure relief valve and pull the spring and poppet out. Sometimes the little poppet with the washer will stick, thus turning the PRV screw will not control the flow. By removing it first, it loosens it, and then will work fine. The other thing is I will pour a little beer through the TapCooler to remove the foamier beer that has been sitting in the lines. Then when filling, I will push the bottle up with palm of left hand to get a good seal inside the "blue bell" (whatever it's really called) that fits over the bottle, then use my right hand to control the flow with the PRV.

@jdauria - Solid tips. Thanks!

I revisited my nukatap CPBF last night (no bottling, just checking it out again), and i noticed exactly that issue with the pin. It was stuck. I unscrewed the whole release valve to loosen it. Not sure if it was always stuck when I used it before, but good chance it was. Also, great point on emptying the foamy beer in the line first.

@jdauria - Solid tips. Thanks!

I revisited my nukatap CPBF last night (no bottling, just checking it out again), and i noticed exactly that issue with the pin. It was stuck. I unscrewed the whole release valve to loosen it. Not sure if it was always stuck when I used it before, but good chance it was. Also, great point on emptying the foamy beer in the line first.
You're welcome!

Back