Bottle Conditioning a Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampFoxBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How long would be considered the minimum length of time for conditioning a bottled Saison?

I’ve got a couple of batches using Belle Saison and one using BE-134 that I just packaged a few days ago. Was planning on giving them 3 weeks minimum.

There's no standard amount of time that a saison (or any style) will take to fully carbonate or to clean up remaining off flavors (if necessary).

But unless these are high ABV beers and/or being stored relatively cool, I'd suggest sampling in a couple weeks to see where you're at. But if you can't afford to open and potentially waste the bottle (small batch size or whetever), delay it.

I always fill a small PET bottle or two when I bottle condition. I underfill by a little and queeze the air out before capping. I know the beer is carbed when the bottle returns to its normal shape and gets stiff. Then I refrigerate the PET bottle and taste it for a preview of how the batch turned out. But I usually give the rest of the bottles at least another week at 68F and then a week or more at 40F before serving, unless its an IPA.

I will usually use heavy bottles and carb my saison to 3 to 3.2 volumes of co2. I usually am around 6-7% abv. I let them condition at room temp for 4 weeks. I too use a plastic bottle to make sure of the carbonation. I’m guessing the minimum would be 2 weeks in my experience.

My 5% ABV 'dark saison' using the BE-134 yeast was ready and indeed very nice to drink about 4 weeks after bottling. Better to wait a week more or so, if not sure and looking for superior results. My bottles were conditioned at room temperature and then individually moved to the fridge for at least a few hours before opening it. I should add that I am quite happy with the results with this yeast.

Back