Bottle Condition Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bones99839

Reaction score
So I recently brewed and bottled a brewer’s best dunklewisen kit and I was wondering if anyone knows a good time to let it sit? I have read that wisen beer will go bad faster than other beers. Anyone know a good amount of time till it should be in its prime? It’s been about 3 weeks.

A lot of brewers don't quite grasp or seem to understand that statement that a beer needs to be drunk young, and it seems to cause confusion.

When someone says that a beer is to be consumed young, it doesn't mean you drink green uncarbed beer it means once it's carbed and coniditoned properly, it won't benefit from extended aging, and it will peak in only a few weeks and some of the qualities will begin to fade.

But it doesn't mean you don't let the beer complete any carbonation and conditioning it needs.

You still have no control over how long it takes for that beer to carb up and the flavors to come together....The carbonation and conditioning process still takes time, and is out of your hands.....the only thing you can control, is how long you want to take to consume the batch after it's ready....that's what is meant by consuming young.

You still need to wait however long the beer needs to be perfect....otherwise you are wasting beer.

You still should wait three weeks minimum (if the beer is average grav and stored above 70 degrees) then chill a couple for a day or two and see how they are.....If it's to your liking in terms of taste and perfectly carbed, then enjoy, if not you still have to wait.

Watch poindexter's video from my bottling blog, and you'll see how carbonation develops over time....that still doesn't factor in if a beer is green or not, where it still may need more time for flavors to develop.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlBlnTfZ2iw]time lapse carbonation - YouTube[/ame]

But a beer meant to be consumed young, just really means don't plan on cellaring them for a long time and expect them to still be the same beer you expect, it doesn't mean you drink it flat and green. You still need to wait for the beer to come into it's full fruition.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out. You have green beer.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Watch poindexter's video from my bottling blog, and you'll see how carbonation develops over time....that still doesn't factor in if a beer is green or not, where it still may need more time for flavors to develop.

revvy... what is he conditioning with? I've never had a beer not bubble in the glass after 4 days, let alone 17 days. I'm not saying its good that i crack one in 4 days, but i do, and at 70deg. i get bubbling every time.

Thanks for the feedback guys, going to crack one Wednesday during my brew day, hope it's good, will be 3 weeks on that day.

Back