Bottle cleaning in oxy clean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyturtle64

Reaction score
I started cleaning mass amounts of bottles and have ran into an issue. I've read the posts on easy ways to clean bottles and most people say to use hot water and oxy clean for 2 hours or more. The first 50 bottles I let soak 2 hours and they came out clean.

The next batch of 50 I soaked for 24 hours and on some of the bottles I was left with a reidue on them which I originally thought was glue / hard water spots but I soaked the next 50 bottles for only 2 hours of the same style bottles that came out clean.

Does the oxy clean damage the bottles in long soaks?

It can't damage the bottles, but depending on the chemistry of your water it may get difficult to rinse. My water seems to be ideal. Oxyclean never has a problem and using it for brewing creates no issues.

Rinse well and you should have no problems.

I've rinsed and soaked in oxiclean ever since I read on here about it. I love it. There's spots on the outside of a bottle that I notice every once in a while.

I soak mine for days and yes sometimes I get Spots or grainy etchings on the bottles. It can come off with work.:)

Depending on your water's mineral content, a prolonged oxi soak can leave stubborn mineral deposits on the bottles. This can usually be removed with an acid soak.

I have brewed about 20 batches in the last year in a half, and when bottling I would use bottle brush with soapy water, rinse, and sanitize and never had a problem.
2 batches ago I put a tsp of oxy clean and hot water in each bottle for a couple hours instead of brushing, then rinsed, and sanitized, no issue, good beer good carbonation.
I made a porter in October, used oxyclean same as above, rinsed & sansitized, problem.
When I pour hard down the middle, I get a good head, buts its gone after about 2 minutes, tasting flat. That was 2-4 weeks after bottling.
The last 2 bottles I had did not have that problem, they were normally cabonated with decent head retention.
So my theory that oxyclean (rinse) was my problem might be incorrect, could be my basement is too cold? 65 +/- degrees?

I have a residue build up in the tub I use for soaking but not in the bottles themselves .. may try the Wilser thing and use that tub for my starsan rinse right before bottling.

BTW - for those of you who squeeze nickels, Oxy is really no more than sodium percarbonate. Sun Oxygen Cleaner (at Wally's and elsewhere) is the same thing at less than half the price. I have never had issues using it

Latest posts

Back