Bottle Carbonation Fail -- Half Bottles Carbonated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadboy182

Reaction score
I have been brewing for about 18 months now and have always bottle conditioned my beer to achieve carbonation. This is about my 20th brew and so far nothing has gone wrong. This is the first time I've had issues.

I prepped my bottles as per usual. I keep them cleaned and dry in storage...so I begin prep with a spritz from the bottle washer at the sink and then several sprays of sanitizer from a converted spray bottle in a tray of Star San. I then turn the bottles upside down and let dry...while I prepare the rest.

Then I fill from my bottle bucket to which I have added my beer and the necessary priming agent. In this case, table sugar. The table sugar was added to approx. 2 cups of boiling water (achieved using a microwave). I stirred this solution into the beer and then let settle during bottle prep.

Ok, here is the the issue...about half to one third of the bottles carbonated properly there other half to two thirds did nothing. I've left them in my kitchen ...average temp this time of year 73-74 degrees F. They sat for 4 weeks.

What is causing my partial carbonation? Some of the crowns feel looser than normal. I think these tend to be the under carbonated bottles...I am inclined to replace the capper I have...which I inherited. Could it be the crowns themselves?

Please help!!! I have 5 gallons of Amber ale that I am ready to bottle...I don't want to experience the problem again. Any ideas??? :(

Ok, I stopped opening the bottles with a case left. I've moved them to the cellar (unfinished basement - avg. temp 64 F). I roused the yeast by giving each a shake...I will keep checking them over the next several months. Hopefully a few more will carb up. :eek:

Are these the same bottles you've been using? I'd think a loose cap could absolutely be the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm tempted to say that if they haven't carbed in 4 weeks they never will. I'm also pointing my finger at the capper and loose caps. Seems a guaranteed way to not have proper carbonation. I've got some swing tops (not ez-cap brand, I regret that now) that seem to seal fine then don't hold carb worth a damn.

Do the flat bottles have a krausen in the bottle itself? I've found that with my flat brews they've all had a ring similar to the primary fermentation.

Yes the bottles are the same. The capper action did feel different this time. I'll look at that more closely.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I have noticed you can get crown caps in a couple different sizes, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back