Bottle carbonation fading??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIusedtoBe

Reaction score
Anybody had issues with bottles that are well carbonated at say 2 months but then have little or no head retention at say 4-5 months? THe beer still tastes fine but it would be nice if they had better carbonation/ head retention.

BTW I always use the same 3/4 cup of corn sugar per 5 gallons and this has only happened with a wheat dopplebock, a Belgian Ale and most lately, my oatmeal stout.

Any ideas?
Alan

The only way I can think of that would happen is of your bottle capper doesn't produce a tight seal, allowing some CO2 to escape.

I'd try replacing your bottle capper with a different model and using a different type of caps (e.g. the O2 absorbing kind).

Also, it's best to weigh the sugar and be sure to account for the temperature of the beer at bottling time (colder room temps, in winter for example, = more CO2 in solution in the beer = less sugar to add for bottling).

Would'nt the beer leak out when tipped upside down fi it was not sealed properly. I would think if the gas could escape, it would push out some beer.

Thanks for the feedback.
Alan

Back