Bottle carbonated commercial beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PavlovsCat

Reaction score
Which American craft beers are naturally carbonated? Is it supposed to be listed on the bottle somewhere? Is there a list on this forum that I missed? People talk about harvesting yeast from bottles. Would be pretty difficult if the beer wasn't bottle carbonated first. I know Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is, because it says so on the bottle.

How hard would it be to update this list ? Any tips for someone willing to try?

I betcha with the googlez it wouldn't be hard to double check those beers, and also find more....it should be updated on a site like this, where it will stay. I poked around the website that it went on, and honestly I'm surprised the site is still up on someone's server, nothing I could find (and I didn't look too hard) had been touched since 99...that info could disappear any time.

I have found that with micro breweries they are pretty willing to answer questions. I betcha if we emailed them, most microbreweries would provide the info...some may even tell us the strains used.

I think Victory golden monkey is BC. I have two bottles that have been in my fridge for about a year and it all settled out.

I think the beer tastes like ass (golden ass monkey) so that is why it has been in there so long. I probably should just dump it and use the bottles......

BYW I love most other Victory beers. :mug:

A few updates to the list:

Adnams - site says all beers are filtered.
Anderson Valley - site says all beers unfiltered and unpasteurized.
Blue Ridge - not sure if this is Blue Ridge Brewery witch only has a filtered wheat or Blue Ridge wheat from Frederick Brewing Co. witch is no longer brewed. (brewery was bought out by flying dog).

As a PSA I will note that many breweries who bottle condition do so with a different yeast strain or even a lager strain that produces very neutral flavors. Just because you get a culture does not mean it was the fermentation culture.

As a PSA I will note that many breweries who bottle condition do so with a different yeast strain or even a lager strain that produces very neutral flavors. Just because you get a culture does not mean it was the fermentation culture.

That's one of the things adressed in the original list, and would be something that if someone were contacting a brewery to clarify....it's actually mostly Belgians that guard the yeast though.

Back