Bottle carbing in Martinelli's AJ bottles...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5327echo

Reaction score
I have another batch of Eds Apfelwein nearly ready to bottle...

I also have these little Martinellis Apple Juice 1.5 liter bottles....

would be nifty to bottle and carb a batch of AW in them..

is there a flip top thinger that might fit on these or some other type of cap which might work that anybody knows about?

I can post a pic of them if anyone is halfway interested...

they do have threads on the top for the little cheezy screw on lids like normally come on store bought AJ...but Iwould imagine that would not be anywhere near gas tight for bottle carbing...

any ideas on caps for non traditional bottles?

what about bottle carbing in larger or weird size bottles like this...?? am I just looking for a pain?

Yuri_Rage said:
If the bottles weren't originally designed for holding the pressure of a carbonated beverage, you're asking for trouble.

+1 on this...

Use beer and champagne bottles for carbed apfelwein....Use everything else for still...I've even used a few quart liguor bottles for still apfelwein...

5327echo said:
these are pretty mighty....thicker than Grolsch bottles...I'll post a pic later...
Were they holding Martinelli's sparkling cider or just the straight apple juice? If they were for sparkling cider, you can reuse them for carbonated apfelwein.

Bump. I hope these are ok to bottle beer as they are champagne bottles. The cider is sparkling and very carbonated like champagne.

^^ yes it is very carbonated and should hold beer fine. They take a standard bottle cap. Usually you will find these after the holidays on mega sale. I have seen the sparkling cider as cheap as 99 cents. It's not bad stuff to drink either.

wow... i got it for 3 a bottle but still thought that was really reasonable. Now I have to buy a bench capper tho which kinda stinks, the wing capper wont work

Geez... i wish mine would. its the regular ( "red barron" i think its called ) red wing capper. It wont clamp down it goes about halfway and then i start forcing and it looks like its gonna snap in half. Then i look and cap not even slightly on

Back