Bottle Carbing Dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danath34

Reaction score
so I've got a pretty big beer bottle conditioning right now... 10.3%. it's been 3 weeks in the bottle, and they're nowhere near done. I just cracked one open and there was a tiny pfft and if I poured it hard directly into the bottom of the glass it developed a small head, but there wasn't much carbonation coming out of the beer after that. there was no sediment in the bottom and the beer was very clear.

So here's the dilemma: I was intending to serve these in about a month and a half from now. I'm worried it won't be carbonated by then. should i pick up some champagne yeast, add a tiny bit to each bottle and recap? Or just RDWHAHB?

No.

Your beer is fine. Leave it alone. Trust me. I do BIG brews more often than I do normal ones. You are golden.

If you want to speed up the process of carbonation, take your bottled beers and put them in a warm room for a week. A room that is around 80F should do the trick. After that they will need at least another couple of weeks to clean up back in your regular temp room. They should be fine. You just want to be sure to allow the yeasts time to clean up after themselves.

Ok thanks. this seems normal for a big beer at 3 weeks? think it'll be done in a month to a month and a half?

I've had two beers around 10% never fully naturally carbonated.(even after several months up to year) The yeast tolerance was said to be 12%, but it gave up anyway.
I generally keep my big beers 9% or lower now and they will always carb. Over shot my last IIPA a bit at 9.3% abv. Had me a little worried, but after a long 8 Weeks it finally carbonated properly.
Maybe you'll have better luck, but if it does carb, it'll likely take a couple months.
As for a solution, i'm curious what others suggest. I fortunately have a DIY 5L mini-keg draft system that I transferred the flat beer to so I could force carbonate.

Ok thanks. this seems normal for a big beer at 3 weeks? think it'll be done in a month to a month and a half?

My only 10.3% beer wasn't fully carbonated for nearly 5 weeks. Give it time. Alcohol tolerance of my yeast says 12%.

Back