Bottle Bucket Filtering Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubiwan

Reaction score
I can't see inside my white pale, but my SG samples are full of what appears to be cold break, that is not settling any tme soon. Its been at FG for over 5 days now, and dry hopped, and each sample I pull its full of grainy break. Looks crap.

Anyway I can filter this into the bottling bucket? A sanitized nylon stocking over the transfer tube? Anyone ever use a unitank for this? Must be some effective solutions people have employed. Some form of inline filter. I realize I am exposing to O2, but hey, its bottling.

Cant cold crash. Fridge is full of beer :) Frankly, the fermentor is too heavy and large for the hassle.

consider adding some knox gelatin
heat up some water, dissolve the gelatin in the water, then add that to your fermenter, it will clear in three days or so

Doesnt fining with gelatin require cold crashing ?

I know bentonite doesnt , but not sure I'd use it for beer . I use it in mead and it's amazing.

Use gelatin. About a teaspoon, I use it on every beer and works great. I use it at room temps. There are lots of different ways people prepare/use it. I let it bloom in about an ounce of water for about 20 minutes, Then heat about 4 to 6 ozs of water to boiling in the microwave, keep covered and let cool to about 170 F. Then add and mix the bloomed gelatin. Then add to beer. Should see a considerable improvement in about 3 days.

Filtering is a lot of effort, can be messy, and if filtered fine enough will take out the yeast you want to prime the bottles with. Using just a course screen (mesh) will take out nothing.

Back