Bottle Bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RhodenJR

Reaction score
Oh man... I know I screwed up a little- but did I screw up a LOT? I'm worried that I bottled prematurely, but I'm not postive because i screwed up the gravity readings.

I'm brewing a kit from Midwest Supplies- partial mash, Belgian IPA, using Wyeast 3724 smack-pack. The OG was supposed to be 1.058-62, with FG 1.012-16. I had all kinds of issues with this brew- mostly due to my lack of practice. This was my first batch after taking 10 years off! Biggest issue- I ended up with a FG of 1.030. I don't know where I started, as my hydro was broken and I had to order a new one. And the final one I screwed up and took the reading AFTER I added the priming sugar and AFTER I had bottled. How the hell did I do that? I filled the tube but didn't look at it till later. Truthfully, since it's been fermenting for 3 weeks with no visible bubbling I ASSumed that the fermentation was done.

On lots of research I wonder if I cooled the wort too far? I dropped almost 2 gallons of solid ice into the wort, and also used a new wort immersion chiller. I had it to 56F before i knew it- and had to wait until the next day to pitch, waiting for the temp to get back up. So of course I worry that it wasn't warm enough.

I fermented in the primary bucket for 7 days around 68-70F, and in the secondary for 14 days.

So- I probabaly screwed up, and here's my questions:
1. Am I going to have a barrage of explosions? They're in Grolsch-style bottles.
2. Can I "burp" the bottles to release some pressure throughout the bottle-conditioning? How often?
3. Can I condition in my fridge? Will that extend the timeframe?
4. Assuming I don't lose all the bottles, will this be a drinkable beer?

Recipe details:
-6 lb. Pilsen liquid malt extract
- 1 lb. Wheat dry malt extract
- 1 lb. Candi sugar
- 8 oz. Cara-20
- 8 oz. Acidulated malt
- 2 oz. Sterling, 3 oz. Ahtanum pellet hops

Im no expert but if you had it fermenting for three weeks i think you should be fine. The only thing that is throwing me off is the really high fg reading that you got. Someone feel free to correct me on this... Also, the fact that you beer didn't start out with a high og tells me three weeks should definitely be enough. Unless of course your temps were very low during fermentation, iwhich may have lead to a stalled fermentation.

I hope all goes well,
Saintdog

Back