Bottle bombs!!! UGH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oreoman

Reaction score
I would like some ideas as to possible reasons I am having bottle bombs. I just had one today from a bottle that was bottled in November!! The bottle was a 17 ounce bottle-- bought new-- but has been used on other homebrews. The bombs show no favorites though-- have had 12-17 and 22 ounce blow. I don't keg because I give a lot away and I like to have at least 10-15 different varieties. HELP!! I've only had about 6-7 blow but it is such a pain to clean up. My bottles are on a 6 shelf unit.

The main reasons are over priming, a batched that wasn't fully fermented and infection. How do you prime your batch. IE tabs, drops or priming solution in your bottling bucket

I use priming sugar in the bucket. Plus this just isn't one batch that this is happening to. It has happened to bottles from 4 different batches. I'm not totally new to brewing -- have brewed about 50+ batches. I do use kits.

I over-carbed my last batch as well, but luckily no bottle bombs. I added sugar and heading power (my Mr Beer kits were quite under-carbed so I thought this batch would need a boost) part of which is dextrose so I should have cut back on the priming sugar. Takes a minute to be able to pour a whole bottle.

I ended up shaking a bottle up on accident and thought it would be OK to drink from the bottle to avoid a spill....I ended up with a mouth full of CO2 and it still kept going.

I would suspect infection in individual bottles. Especially with one bomb from a batch bottled in November, it's really the only thing that makes sense to me.

I've only had one bottle bomb but was not able to pinpoint the issue. That is to say, I know it was infection, but not sure where the infection came from. It was a batch that I did with my dad at his house. I was there for brew day, and bottle day, but was not around for transfer to secondary day (hey, it was a bourbon barrel stout with bourbon soaked oak cubes and I like to secondary all my beers, wanna fight about it?). My dad is not what I call a noob to brewing as he has been by my side pretty much every time I've brewed. But something must have gotten screwed something up sanitation wise.

We had bottles that he sanitized and some that I did right before brewing and had a constant problem so it must have been a whole batch issue.

Oh yeah, the one that blew? We shipped it to my brother in Southern California and it blew up in his living room where I guess he decided to age it. Yeah his SWMBO was none too pleased.

So possibly something wrong with the bottle? I will have to make sure of cleaning and sanitizing well !!
Thanks for helping.

oreoman said:
So possibly something wrong with the bottle? I will have to make sure of cleaning and sanitizing well !!
Thanks for helping.

Well it's very unlikely there was something wrong with the bottle itself. It's more likely that the particular bottle didn't get fully sanitized for whatever reason, and an infection was able to take hold. What is your sanitation process for bottles?

That's what I meant-- sorry I didn't convey that. I clean with any and all -- Easy Clean, b-brite, PBW and star San. Then before bottling I sanitize with star- San

oreoman said:
That's what I meant-- sorry I didn't convey that. I clean with any and all -- Easy Clean, b-brite, PBW and star San. Then before bottling I sanitize with star- San

Well then it seems like you're doing the right things, maybe just getting in a hurry and missing a bottle or not fully sanitizing it. I use the dishwasher for bottles (and I have vinegar in my rinse aid compartment for an additional sanitation factor) and have never had a problem.

Either way, I don't think you're doing anything that would negatively affect the entire batch, otherwise you would have more than just one bottle bomb per batch.

Back