Bottle bombs possible with ez cap swing top bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxyaardvark

Reaction score
I have an assortment of ez cap and swing top bottles with the rubber seal. I've heard that in the case of overcarbonation ez cap bottles will vent prior to becoming dangerous and creating bottle bombs. Is this accurate? Has anyone ever had easy cap bottles explode? I have a pretty overcarbonated belgian dubbel sitting in them right now that makes an explosive pop sound when I open them. I get about a half inch of beer and the rest is head when I pour it. I don't think its infected because it tastes good. I used 5oz priming sugar and it was done fermenting prior to bottling. Should I be concerned?

You can release the pressure then quickly recap. It won't release all the CO2 out of the beer itself but it will help a little. Swingtops are a lot thicker but my bet is it is still possible to blow one up. Make sure these are in the fridge ASAP to stop the yeast from working. Make sure you have clean hands and don't touch the seal and you should be ok to relieve the pressure.

I've had bottle bombs with swing top 1 litre bottles when making ginger beer. However I was probably in the range of 2-3 volumes of CO2 carbonation at 68F when that happened. Those bottles were fairly thin square bottles as well.

Latest posts

Back