Bottle bombs, disarmed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett_Bellmore

Me and my better half.
Reaction score
So, I'd been in a little bit of a hurry to bottle my batch of cranberry/blood orange mead. (Wanted to free up the fermenter for something else.) As a result, the bottles ended up with an unpleasant amount of debris in the bottom after sitting in my closet for a couple months.

Well, my better half suggested that I transfer them to fresh bottles, leaving behind the lees. Fine idea, so I set out to do it. And the first bottle popped when I opened it, and fizzed like champagne. (Thankfully didn't run over.) So did the next, and the next. Considering how sweet I like my mead, they weren't going to stop at fizzy!

They're all on the counter now with loose swing tops, fizzing off that pressure before I recap them. And the smaller beer bottles I'd filled are in the fridge, for more immediate consumption.

More patience in the future. And I'm going to make a habit of testing one of the swing tops a month after bottling, just to be sure.

Back