Bottle bombs are a urban legend.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, but bottle bomb are not myth, nor are they limited to NOOB homebrewers.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/myfox/p...ale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/myfox/p...ale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1

So, I've been a homebrewer for almost 2 years now. I've never had a problem, except for one growler type bottle. It didn't explode, but when I opened it, the cap skipped off my face and put a small dent in the dryway on my kitchen ceiling. Since then, I've only used 12 oz bottles without incident.

I got a call from the wife this morning. One of the bombers I got in a beer swap last year just exploded when she moved it from one shelf to another in the basement. I think some of these get right up to the edge of pressure capacity and it just takes one little bump to set it off. It was probably an infection. She's (or I should say I'M) lucky that she didn't get any glass in her eye. It broke into about 25 pieces. It wasn't one of those convenient bottom blow outs.

Bobby, Man I'm glad to hear she's OK. That really is a scary thing. I think you owe her a nice night out, dinner, the whole nine yards +.

That's the problem, I kinda had my supplies and stash all over the place intermixed with her craft supplies and other junk. We both agreed that carbed bottles need to be on the floor in boxes and the whole mess of brew supplies should be in a concentrated no-wife zone.

That's the problem, I kinda had my supplies and stash all over the place intermixed with her craft supplies and other junk. We both agreed that carbed bottles need to be on the floor in boxes and the whole mess of brew supplies should be in a concentrated no-wife zone.

Oooooohhhh! Shared space is living life on the edge! Reach for the hydrometer an knock over a trinket and break it, you're a dead man!

I think some of these get right up to the edge of pressure capacity and it just takes one little bump to set it off.

Yeah, I think so as well. They should be moved like moving around Nitroglycerin :D.

I have a half case of an experiment I did with some second runnings. Well I didn't take care of the stuff at all and I think it has a gusher infection. I opened one and it sprayed all over the place. That reminds me, I need to take them outside and relieve the pressure....:fro:

Back