Bottle bomb dangerously close

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwf6189

Reaction score
So I have been brewing for a while now, and in over 20 batches, have had zero bottle bombs. That was until this last wednesday. My roommate and I were en route to the Wanee festival in Florida, and needless to say the car was loaded with homebrew for us and our friends to enjoy during the weekend. We had so much in fact, that the last 12 pack had to go on the floorboard in between my legs in the passenger side seat. We were probably 4 hours down the road, when all of a sudden a massive bang goes off in the car. I look down to my feet and what do I see but shards of glass lying on top of the box of beer, and beer starting to flow onto the floorboard. I told my roommate/driver/other half of our beer operation that I think we had our first bottle bomb. He looks in his lap, and there is a silver dollar sized piece of glass just sitting there. All in all, our very first bottle bomb happened no more than a foot and a half from my nuts, and we were in an inclosed space. Luckily, i had folded down and tucked in the flaps on the box which helped to contain the fragments. Still pretty unbelievable that so much glass came out the tiny hole in the top of the box with that being done. It was also, luckily the only one to go off, and the other 60 or so beers were fine. We came to the conclusion that it probably had to do with the bottle shaking in the car, and changes in air pressure and temp as we had left from Asheville and at the moment of the incendent were around Macon GA. All said and done, we left unscathed, and still had plenty of brews to enjoy throughout the whole weekend. (Allman Brothers and Furthur killed it on Saturday Night.

Wow! I haven't had any yet, sounds like you guys lucked out with that one though. Could have ruined what sounds like an awesome festival! I wish I could bring home brew into Summercamp fest with me, they don't allow anyone to BYOB.

I had a bottle-bomb go off in the car (driving from NC to GA too). Luckily it was in a cooler, but, it was go damn loud I thought transmission had exploded beneath car. I attributed it to jostling as well.
*Scared the crap outta my kids, wife was not happy.

JWF, was Wanee packed this year? My GF and I went every year from 2005-2010. 2010 was the first year LiveNation started promoting the event, and it went from like 5-8K people attending to like 30K. I'm sure it was the same, if not bigger this year.

I hate to be the "those were the days" guy, but imagine the same concert, same bands, with about 1/5 of the people, cleaner, a bit more community throughout the campgrounds, and at the same time a bit more privacy at night at the campgrounds.

Those were the days...

Wow! I haven't had any yet, sounds like you guys lucked out with that one though. Could have ruined what sounds like an awesome festival! I wish I could bring home brew into Summercamp fest with me, they don't allow anyone to BYOB.

You gotta step your concealment game up.

Topher, it was definitely crowded but my and my long time festival friends had our own secluded camp site, and half the fun was just being with them. I would love to go back to how it was a couple years ago but the advantage is that you get two massive headliners. With a little more funding. There are still some great small festivals to go to where you can still catch that old freedom vibe.

Back