Boston Cream Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to do an imperial boston cream pastry stout. Working on the recipe now and I've been thinking about the adjuncts that are going to go in. While I know it's almost entirely a gimmick, I'm planning on using fresh donuts in the mash. After that though, I'm thinking...

Lactose
Vanilla
Cacao Nibs

To really try and get the flavors of a boston cream donut, should I be including anything else? I've seen a commercial example by Mystic Brewing that used nutmeg, however, I can't see where that has a place here.

I'm looking at the D45 & D90 candy syrups, thinking about incorporating one of those. The D45 seems like it might help with the flavors of the custard filling of the donut (toffee, vanilla).

Any recommendations on the grain bill?

Thanks.

Beware the gimmick. Donuts are fried, fat isn't too good for beer.

Boston cream is really pretty simple. Sweet dough, vanilla cream, chocolate.

Maybe check out extra special roast? It's sweet in a confectionary way. Maybe too toasted marshmallow.

Beware the gimmick. Donuts are fried, fat isn't too good for beer.

Boston cream is really pretty simple. Sweet dough, vanilla cream, chocolate.

Maybe check out extra special roast? It's sweet in a confectionary way. Maybe too toasted marshmallow.
Yeah, that's why I was going to do it in the mash. Thinking that the mash would keep a lot of that out since it recirculates.

That extra special isn't a bad idea. I've used it before and was pretty happy with it.

Kind of thinking of a mix of Maris Otter and Munich II for the base.
Add in the extra special, chocolate, carafa II and roasted barley. Thinking that the combination of those roasted grains will offset the sweetness from the loads of lactose and vanilla that will go in...?

Initial thoughts on grain bill...

40% Maris Otter
39% Munich II
7% Chocolate
4% Carafa Special III
4% Roasted Barley
3% Briess Extra Special
3% Honey Malt

Between Maris and Munich and Honey, hoping that those will emulate a sweet bready flavor that could be reminiscent of the dough of the doughnut.

With the Chocolate, Carafa III, and roasted barley, looking to get some nice chocolate flavor with a decent enough roast to offset sweetness that will be introduced in the beer later.

The low amount of the extra special will hopefully impart some of the advertised toasted marshmallow flavor to complement the vanilla later and hopefully evoke thoughts of the cream from the doughnut.

Thoughts?

I've done a few stouts and porters w/ coffee, and heave learned over time it's best (for me) to make a "normal" stout or porter and separately make a little cold press and then put a dash into the beer itself. Then I get to try different ratios and of course coffees. Where I'm going is - maybe make a somewhat normal beer and then add some tinctures to it glass by glass? Then you can really dial things in. If nothing else you'd know a little more about what to put in the beer itself the next time if you go for it.

I've done a few stouts and porters w/ coffee, and heave learned over time it's best (for me) to make a "normal" stout or porter and separately make a little cold press and then put a dash into the beer itself. Then I get to try different ratios and of course coffees. Where I'm going is - maybe make a somewhat normal beer and then add some tinctures to it glass by glass? Then you can really dial things in. If nothing else you'd know a little more about what to put in the beer itself the next time if you go for it.
This is how I’ve done flavor additions in the past. However in this case, just looking to make a somewhat chocolate forward, sweet stout with some solid roast and add adjuncts to it later.

Looks good to me . I use crystal 80 and lactose in my stouts . Soak the nibs for a while to extract the chocolate flavor.

The recipe plan seems good, what you're trying to achieve. There's just so many options it's tough to pick one. Some random thoughts -

If you have some liquid smoke around, a very tiny amount might help with a toasted marshmallow flavor?
If you bought that fluff stuff in a jar, could you use it, or even toast it under a broiler first then somehow incorporate it?
Would some biscuit of victory malt give that kind of flavor, or be a swing and a miss?
There's marshmallow flavorings that could work.
A little vanilla might actually work.

I was thinking Munich I but the II idea is interesting. Was also thinking Caramel 10 but can't see why the honey wouldn't work. Also wonder if you'll get enough roast from the chocolate malt that you could skip the roasted barley and maybe add some pale chocolate?

Again just thoughts, hope one or two help.

The recipe plan seems good, what you're trying to achieve. There's just so many options it's tough to pick one. Some random thoughts -

If you have some liquid smoke around, a very tiny amount might help with a toasted marshmallow flavor?
If you bought that fluff stuff in a jar, could you use it, or even toast it under a broiler first then somehow incorporate it?
Would some biscuit of victory malt give that kind of flavor, or be a swing and a miss?
There's marshmallow flavorings that could work.
A little vanilla might actually work.

I was thinking Munich I but the II idea is interesting. Was also thinking Caramel 10 but can't see why the honey wouldn't work. Also wonder if you'll get enough roast from the chocolate malt that you could skip the roasted barley and maybe add some pale chocolate?

Again just thoughts, hope one or two help.
Great points, i appreciate the thoughtful response!!

I was personally on the fence with the honey. I went back and forth between that and a heavier caramel like C40 or something. I went with honey simply for the sweetness but you may have a point with the caramel malt…

in regards to the Munich I vs II the general consensus was II was more bready so to me that seemed like where I wanted to go.

In regards To ABV on this, I wanted to aim high at an OG of 1.130. Is that too big for a beer that will get lactose and NOT be barrel aged?

also, I don’t want to have to boil forever. Just don’t have the time for that.What are the ramifications of shooting for a lower OG, say 1.080-1.090 and using DME to get up to targeted OG?

Well, it's in the fermenter. Toned down the recipe to hit 1.117. Missed 2 points sparge and missed 2 points in the boil for an actual OG of 1.113. Still respectable...

I definitely thought this was pure gimmick before doing it. At 15 minutes in, pulled the first pH sample and couldn't taste them. So, was still thinking, yeah, definitely gimmick. Had to make a small pH adjustment so made that and pulled another sample at 45 min in. At this point, I noticed the donuts were really getting broken down and turning to mush. Tasted that sample and holy sh**! That dough flavor really came through! Not so much the cream flavor but the bittersweet chocolate from the frosting and the dough was really prominent! We'll see if that makes it through to the final or not.

donut 2.jpg

donut 1.jpg

Hoping that flavor sticks around after the boil .

I've heard good things about capella Boston cream extract, but also some saying wasn't as good as they thought it would be. Might be something worth looking into at kegging if your wanting some more of the Boston cream flavor .

Last edited:
Hoping that flavor sticks around after the boil .

I've heard good things about capella Boston cream extract, but also some saying wasn't as good as they thought it would be. Might be something worth looking into at kegging if your wanting some more of the Boston cream flavor .
Yeah you and me both! It was hard to pick it out after the hop additions went in. I usually do a 1:1 BU/GU ratio on impy's but this time I dropped it to a 0.9:1 in hopes of keeping it sweeter.

I'll have to check out that extract and see what we think of it! Thanks for the recommendation!

Back