Bosch intercooler pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverbullet

Reaction score
I have a brand new Bosch intercooler pump that was a spare for my old car. I know there has been talk of using fuel pumps and why you wouldn't use them, but what about one of these? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0071N4Z0K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 It's rated for temps up to 275, 317GPH, and is whisper quiet. Of course I'd run a ton of PBW and Star San through first.
I know everyone is quick to say March or food grade pumps but I have it sitting here and would like to put it to use if I can....

Last edited by a moderator:
Worth a shot I'd say.

Off topic, what car was it? Not to many air to water intercoolers out there. Toyota was big on them back in the day

It was a C32 AMG with every go-fast part available at the time. The highly boosted 3.2s were known to go through intercooler pumps like candy, so I had a spare stock pump on hand before upgrading to a Johnson pump. Cleaning out the garage and forgot I had this new pump still sitting around. Now to figure out how to effectively use it.
Ahhhh, I miss that car.....

018.jpg

C32.jpg

I believe rated to 275 and food rated to 275 are different things.

I believe rated to 275 and food rated to 275 are different things.
That was my main concern. I took the head off the pump and it's a mag drive with a hard plastic/resin housing. My bottom line is wanting to know if it's safe to use or will there be some crazy chemicals leaching into the brew? Not my area of expertise so hopefully someone out there can say one way or the other with certainty. If it's not worth the risk I'll just sell it for whatever I can get out of it. Thing is I don't "need" a pump right now, but would be nice to use it if I can do so safely.....

Mag drive is a step in the right direction. Possibly email manufacturer and ask what the head is made of for certainty?

I was thinking about using one of these. I use one to cool an eaton supercharger. Let me know how it works out. They are also used in the heating system in most volkswagons. You can score them as cheap as $20 on eBay.

I wired it to an old 12v wall charger that I have no idea what it used to go to for power. I also have it all cleaned out running very concentrated solution of PBW for an hour and then concentrated Star San before flushing with water. I then ran some boiling water through it, cooled it, and tasted it to see if there were any off flavors. Everything came out good and tasted like typical bland boiled water. Now just trying to figure out how to best implement it into my system. Really what I need is a brew stand....

Back