Bored Day... Candi Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealf

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at making a Belgian Style Candi Syrup. I have no reason to make it other than I had the ingredients and the time... Here are some pics:

http://cdn3.libsyn.com/basicbrewing...30&nva=20090528072930&t=0a6a34fc0baec7cc022d1

Step 1...
Combine Sugar, Water, and DAP
normal_img_1678.jpg

Coming up to temp... shooting for 270 (Light Amber)
normal_img_1680.jpg

Not much color up to this point
normal_img_1681.jpg

Almost to temp... color is definitely changing
normal_img_1682.jpg

Temperature has been reached... time for

Step 2...
Slowly add .75 cups of water
normal_img_1683.jpg

Color test
normal_img_1684.jpg

Step 3 (no picture)
Add another .75 cups of water when the sugar reaches 270 again

Step 4
Bring back up to 240

Then decant into very hot jars (to prevent thermal shock)
normal_img_1685.jpg

Final Color test
normal_img_1686.jpg

Just opened up the two smaller jars for a Belgian Singel (Enkel) I am brewing now. The favor is... sweet and certainly caramel and some of the soft fruit flavors, just like the PDF file suggests.

Just a Q about the yeast nutrient. Can I use some of the spare pouches of yeast nutrient I have left over from some wyeast packs I didn't smack but still used?

I'm going to give this a try for some future belgians and thanks very much for posting the pics and recipe page. Much appreciated!

My first thought is... I doubt it. I believe that those little packets are wort and yeast nutrient. As opposed to the DAP (Di-Ammonium Phosphate) that is used in this process.

DAP is fairly inexpensive and you should be able to pick it up at any LHBS?

You could probably find the contents of the nutrient packs on the Wyeast site. I used Fermaid K (contains DAP) and it worked. Anything that is a significant source of Nitrogen (and food safe) should work.

Back