Boom! Joined the keg World!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBrewMaster

Reaction score
Hey guys I just pulled the trigger on 2 brand new ball lock kegs, with dual regulator, two 5lbs co2 tanks, spare parts for everything (back up supply), 2 different lengths of beer line for both kegs, and a bunch of other goodies.

I had to come on here to share the excitement because no one else would understand on the same level. I have only made 6-7 batches and I was already sick of bottling ha ha. I paid the extra for expedited shipping, I will try to post a pic when it arrives.

I started out with a two keg purchase too. Before I had beer in the second keg, I realized that in order to keep the taps flowing, I would need more kegs. Time between brewing, fermenting, and carbonating the kegs, I'd go thirsty. Still new to this myself, but I am 10 days in without a beer purchase from the store!

Congrats. I too started with 2 kegs and now the addiction is full bore in I have 12. I am looking for two more to just use as a secondary / bright tank. Also I have been doing my transfers with jumoer hoses and CO2. Fun and games. Is there a cure!!!

Do yourself a favor and get a spray bottle and fill it with star san or water and a few drops of dish soap. Once you get get everything connected spray it down. Any leeks will start to his and bubble. Losing all your CO2 overnight really blows. Congrats by the way, kegging is the way to go, and you can still bottle from the keg on rare occasions without the worry of sediment in the bottle.

Ha ha thanks guys I must say that being excited is an understatement.

And thanks for the tips. I was planing on using a spray bottle with star San but didn't think to drop a couple of drops of soap.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Enjoy it. Draft beer at home is awesome!

But very dangerous...I've gone back for that half pint a few too many times since I started kegging and before I know it, I'm drunk. On the weekends, that's fine, but it happens on work nights...
I find myself bottling more these days, but still keg as well.

I guess I like the presentation of my beer being in a bottle more. But having a kegerator is definitely top of the list for "cool factor" in homebrewing. If that is important to you...

I drink less with beers on tap. Weird.

Congrats OP! Skip the soap...use star san. It won't create a soapy mess when you spray it.
Why 2 CO2 tanks?

But very dangerous...I've gone back for that half pint a few too many times since I started kegging and before I know it, I'm drunk. On the weekends, that's fine, but it happens on work nights...
I find myself bottling more these days, but still keg as well.

I guess I like the presentation of my beer being in a bottle more. But having a kegerator is definitely top of the list for "cool factor" in homebrewing. If that is important to you...

You know it's actually really easy to bottle off your keg.

That's what I do. I usually bottle a 12 pack or sometimes a case out a 5 gallon keg to keep and to keep the rotation going.

If I go somewhere and want to bring some bottles it literally takes about 5-10 minutes to bottle a 6 pack.

If you search around there are some good threads with a how to here.

I drink less with beers on tap. Weird.

Congrats OP! Skip the soap...use star san. It won't create a soapy mess when you spray it.
Why 2 CO2 tanks?

I got a good deal on 2 brand new 5lbs'ers that were full for 60 bucks. So I decided to buy them and down the road maybe I could sell them off and get a 20lbs

You know it's actually really easy to bottle off your keg.

That's what I do. I usually bottle a 12 pack or sometimes a case out a 5 gallon keg to keep and to keep the rotation going.

If I go somewhere and want to bring some bottles it literally takes about 5-10 minutes to bottle a 6 pack.

If you search around there are some good threads with a how to here.

Yes, I am aware of that and have done it myself. I guess it just feels more pure to bottle condition sometimes. I crash cool before bottling so it minimizes the sediment in the bottles. It's like a dusting on the bottom, very much like Sierra Nevada pale ale. Plus, it forces me to be more patient with my beers.
It's just funny, the evolution of the brewer. When I started kegging, I thought I'd be done bottling forever. But the last couple years, I've really started to enjoy bottling again. And since I have kegging equipment, I add the priming sugar to the keg, siphon on top, close up and pressurize, swirl the keg to distribute the sugar, then bottle under pressure with a picnic tap and bottling wand. I love it, actually.

Yes, I am aware of that and have done it myself. I guess it just feels more pure to bottle condition sometimes. I crash cool before bottling so it minimizes the sediment in the bottles. It's like a dusting on the bottom, very much like Sierra Nevada pale ale. Plus, it forces me to be more patient with my beers.
It's just funny, the evolution of the brewer. When I started kegging, I thought I'd be done bottling forever. But the last couple years, I've really started to enjoy bottling again. And since I have kegging equipment, I add the priming sugar to the keg, siphon on top, close up and pressurize, swirl the keg to distribute the sugar, then bottle under pressure with a picnic tap and bottling wand. I love it, actually.

Right on man. I couldn't imagine ever wanting to old school bottle condition again, but I see what you are saying.

That's the wonderful thing about hobbies right? There's no wrong way so long as you get what you want!! :mug:

Right on man. I couldn't imagine ever wanting to old school bottle condition again, but I see what you are saying.

That's the wonderful thing about hobbies right? There's no wrong way so long as you get what you want!! :mug:

Yes, and brewing is one of the best hobbies ever!

Ha ha thanks guys I must say that being excited is an understatement.

And thanks for the tips. I was planing on using a spray bottle with star San but didn't think to drop a couple of drops of soap.

I only mentioned the soap as an alternative to star san. I actually try to keep it away from my brewing equipment since it kills head retention quicker than Rosie O'Donnell in a g-string on the 4th of July.

Back