Book

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vance71975

Reaction score
The Book was submitted tonight to the publisher, now it is just a waiting game until it is up for sale online!:ban:

Does "The book" have a title? What is it about? anything else that would prove to be useful info. that you left out like well...any information? Is it getting published for sure? how long is it? can I get a pic or an AMEN? Will it make me better looking?

Book, I can haz?

Does "The book" have a title? What is it about? anything else that would prove to be useful info. that you left out like well...any information? Is it getting published for sure? how long is it? can I get a pic or an AMEN? Will it make me better looking?

Book, I can haz?
Yes the book has a Title the title is Bizarre Brews 101, yes it is being published for sure, MS word says it is 349 Pages, though when converted to 6x9 format it may come out longer or shorter depending on the layout process.No Pic as of yet because i do not have a cover design as of yet, but i will post one as soon as i have it. Sorry cant say it will directly make you better looking but if the ladies drink enough of the brews contained in the book, you may Appear better looking to them lol!:tank:

PS from looking at your brews list, i think you may really like the book as it is geared toward non-standard brewing as i am sure you have guessed from the title!

BTW how is the Mulberry Oatmeal Stout? that sounds simply Amazing!

Yes the book has a Title the title is Bizarre Brews 101, yes it is being published for sure, MS word says it is 349 Pages, though when converted to 6x9 format it may come out longer or shorter depending on the layout process. No Pic as of yet because i do not have a cover design as of yet, but i will post one as soon as i have it. Sorry cant say it will directly make you better looking but if the ladies drink enough of the brews contained in the book, you may Appear better looking to them lol!:tank:

PS from looking at your brews list, i think you may really like the book as it is geared toward non-standard brewing as i am sure you have guessed from the title!

BTW how is the Mulberry Oatmeal Stout? that sounds simply Amazing!

Thanks for the info...The mulberry oatmeal stout is ok depending on who you ask. SWMBO loves it but it tastes like a Merlot stout to me. I will prob not be brewing it again and if I do it will be a 1/2 batch. It goes great with steak...

I have brewed my fruit in beer and am not a fan. I am also pretty vocal about the use of wormwood or the DO NOT side of it, more accurately. It is awful unless you are trying for the most bitter/astringent beer on Earth, in that case have at. I do also have a odd "work in progress" but am reluctant to reveal the "secret ingredient" until I have its use hammered out a bit better.

Sounds like a good book. Keep us posted with updates!

Thanks for the info...The mulberry oatmeal stout is ok depending on who you ask. SWMBO loves it but it tastes like a Merlot stout to me. I will prob not be brewing it again and if I do it will be a 1/2 batch. It goes great with steak...

I have brewed my fruit in beer and am not a fan. I am also pretty vocal about the use of wormwood or the DO NOT side of it, more accurately. It is awful unless you are trying for the most bitter/astringent beer on Earth, in that case have at. I do also have a odd "work in progress" but am reluctant to reveal the "secret ingredient" until I have its use hammered out a bit better.

Sounds like a good book. Keep us posted with updates!

Will do, i am told that using wormwood is best done if you steep it in vodka for a month and strain it into your bottling bucket, this helps to avoid the bitter and astringent nature that comes out when it is boiled. I have used it this way pretty successfully without getting an excessively bitter beer, but i do know what you mean, it gets nasty fast when boiled.

I have been considering a mulberry mead this summer as the park next to my house has a large mulberry tree. I like my fruit beers depending on the fruit and how it is done. I plan to mash a stout, using Heated Pineapple Juice as my Mash Liquid instead of water, ill of course be adding water conditioning salts to it since it lacks the minerals. Just one i have been wanting to test out in a small 1 gallon batch maybe 3 at the most.

I have received the digital Proofs on Bizarre Brews 101 yesterday, Once the corrections are made which there is only one i see, we move to Active Printing WE ARE GETTING SO CLOSE TO RELEASE!!!!!!!!!! Estimated retail price $38.95 USD, I am going to see if i can Lower this any! I am sooo Stoked!!!!!!!!!!Also apparently i am getting two extra free copies of the book! Actually Print Proofs for me to look at for Final Approval then the book goes live for sale On amazon, Barnes and noble and a **** ton of other websites along with being available to book stores though Ingram's and Baker and Taylor distribution companies.:rockin::rockin::rockin:

A bit off topic:

I read a story a short time ago about e-books that, writers are starting to directly sell their books on their own without going through a publisher. It is like they are able to cut out the middle man.

A bit off topic:

I read a story a short time ago about e-books that, writers are starting to directly sell their books on their own without going through a publisher. It is like they are able to cut out the middle man.

I am doing that to some extent, i am doing what is called Assisted Self Publishing. Which basically means, i payed a set amount to have my book published, but it is through a publishing house that is owned or in partnership with a "standard publisher" there are ups and downs to publishing this way, for example with a traditional publisher you have no up front cost BUT it can take you 4 years or more of shopping a book around before you find a publisher that will take it. With a self publishing house you pay and they work with you to make your book as likely to sell as possible.

With a traditional publisher you lose virtually all control over your book once you sign with them, and you also no longer own your book they own it. With a self publisher I keep complete control over my book.

With a traditional publisher you are paid an up front lump sum, BUT if your book does not sell enough to cover that some of money you can be held responsible to pay back the publishing house. With a Self Publisher your paid on the books you actually sell.

With a traditional publisher your income from your book is very limited, normally the check you get up front is between 4000 and 10,000(unless you have a big name like Stephen King or Dean Koontz) and if your LUCKY you make make .25 cents per book AFTER you sell enough to pay back your advance, but normally you get no cut of the sales. With a self publisher you make anywhere from 1.50 to 8.50 or more per book on every book that sells.

With a traditional publisher there is a book over head cost because they normally do a first printing of around 10,000 books. With the Assisted self publisher i used, there is no book order requirement and books are done on a "print on demand" basis which means if you were to order my book tomorrow, it would be printed and shipped to you within the next 3 days or so give or take. This saves thousands of dollars in overhead on a book that may or may not sell.

They way i look at it, a With a traditional publisher they are working for themselves, they are concerned with their bottom line profit. With Assisted Self Publishing the company works FOR YOU, your paying them, and after you pay them they dont make any money UNLESS your book actually sells, so they go out of their way to make sure your book sells as well as possible.So for me personally, i will stick with assisted self publishing!

So, is this more of a recipe book? Are they your recipes or clones of non-standard and bizarre commercially available beers?

They are all my Personal recipes and yes it is primarily a recipe book, Most all are very Non-Standard brews. For example a Brown ale using Oat Malt as the base malt along with many others.

I published a fiction novel in 2004 through Publish America. It's not "assisted publishing" (I didn't pay anything), but they do have much lower standards. They do not accept submissions from literary agents, and will pretty much approve anything as long as you are willing to make the editing changes they suggest after receiving the first draft.

I did my editing myself, so I "read" my book 4 times before it was published. I haven't read it since.

Congrats on finishing your whole project! That in itself is ridiculously hard. I can't tell you how many other novels I've written 10-20 pages of before quitting. Actually finishing all 300 pages of the one I published was probably the toughest thing I've ever done.

I published a fiction novel in 2004 through Publish America. It's not "assisted publishing" (I didn't pay anything), but they do have much lower standards. They do not accept submissions from literary agents, and will pretty much approve anything as long as you are willing to make the editing changes they suggest after receiving the first draft.

I did my editing myself, so I "read" my book 4 times before it was published. I haven't read it since.

Congrats on finishing your whole project! That in itself is ridiculously hard. I can't tell you how many other novels I've written 10-20 pages of before quitting. Actually finishing all 300 pages of the one I published was probably the toughest thing I've ever done.

Oh i know that feeling! I have 3 Fiction books in the works at various stages, and they are a pain to finish! The recipe book was fairly easy though after all i had 2 years brewing beer (18 years doing fermentation of one kind or another) to fall back on and i brew OFTEN lol.

Latest posts

Back