Boob here...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoalBrew

Reaction score
I'v got a second year Willamette plant that has three solide bines(?) The first year I was in the middle of a move and although I had it in the ground pretty early, it only grew to only about 3 feet. I'm sure I shocked it in the move. This spring however, the thing shot up and is now about 15+ feet tall. The thing that concerns me, is that the first, tallest, bine broke off about 3 weeks ago (when it was about 15' tall) and not too long after it did, it produced about 6 hop cones, two of which were worth a hoot.The other bines are doing great and surpassed the initial one that broke. Did I blow my wad with those 6 lame cones or since I still have a good looking plant can I expect to see more? It's the end of Aug. and it's still growing good- ????
What does the life cycle of the plant look like with a general time line? Thanks so much!

i was also thown off by the "boob" title.... moderately dissapointed with no advice because I have no bines this year... :*(

This is the time when the hops will start to flower. I think you don't have anything to worry about if the plant still looks healthy.

Actually it is an introduction of sorts, my fist thread, my first question, the title seemed appropriate. So a "bine" is a vine that shoots from the original rhysome (sp - sorry)? And judging by the short but informative replies, I should be fine... good... when do you usually harvest? And Holy Crap 60??? does that mean 60 separate plants or 60 upshoots from like 20 plants - I'm learning here.

Way past flowering time. We are officially into harvest out here (at least the people inland are). I doubt you'll see any more cones this year. The longer the bines survive, the stronger the roots will be for next year.

I've got third year hops that haven't set cones. It was (is 40F this morning) really cold this summer.

That's what I was afraid of, in hasn't been cold here at all though... anyway, I'll just hope for a monster year next. Thanks for the response!

Well planted a cascade and chinook rhysome this spring and looking to harvest in the next week. These have done a gazillion times better than the willamet plant that gets a quarter of the sun. These bines should produce 2-4 oz each... This is their fist season!
I will move the willamet to the sun next spring.

Any advice on harvest time?? I think I am in the middle between springy green and papery.... Advice any one?

Back