Boilmaker Mash/Boiling Pot Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iniquity

Reaction score
Hello Hello

I have been brewing extract for a while now and I want to get into all-grain. My biggest problem is space/resources. I was wondering if I could use a Boilmaker pot with a spigot and a false bottom as an all in one solution.

So for instance, I would conduct the mash in the pot and then sparge using the same pot. Once I have sparged the liquid would I be able to remove the false bottom and grains and then go ahead with my boil?

I'm not sure if I'm familiar enough with the all-grain process to know if this would be ok and work. I know it wouldn't be the most ideal method but it might be my only shot right now at getting this done.

What do you guys think?

watch this and familiarize yourself a little bit, I think it will answer your ??'s

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the video, it does help a little with my question, but from what I am gathering I could just use the boilmaker for both a mash tun, lauter tun and a boiling kettle?

by extract batches do you mean extract only batches? if so i would suggest taking some intermediate steps before jumping head long into AG. try a few specialty grain and extract batches. once you get that down pat move on to partial mash recipes. the partial mash will help get you used to the concepts of mashing and sparging. only once your comfortable with that would i suggest going into AG.

I've been doing extract with specialty grain but have not attempted any partial mash. I will most likely be do some partial mash before I get into AG. I just want to know if the process I have mentioned here would work whenever I decide to go forward with AG.

Thanks for the video, it does help a little with my question, but from what I am gathering I could just use the boilmaker for both a mash tun, lauter tun and a boiling kettle?

I guess you could. However, you'd be in need of other vessels to heat water, and to hold the runnings.

Generally, you want to mash, then drain the runnings. Then you'll need to add about 4 gallons of 170 degree water, and drain that, too. You could store the runnings in a bucket, but you'll still need a way to heat the sparge water while your Boilermaker is full. Then, when all of your runnings are in the bucket, you'd have to empy the Boilermaker and clean it and then put the runnings in the bucket. You can guess that this would be a huge headache, but possibly is doable.

I'd suggest getting at least one other vessel, whether it's a brewpot or the mashtun, to make your life a little bit easier.

+1 to Yoop's suggestion. It can be done w/ 1 vessel, and a couple of 5 gallon buckets but would be a bit of a hassle.

Heat mash water in brewpot
mash in
hold mash temp for 60 minutes
heat 4ish gallons of sparge water in a different pot
drain mash into bucket 1
add 1/2 of your sparge water
drain into bucket 2
add the other 1/2 of your sparge water
drain to bucket 3
clean out boilpot
add contents of bucket 1, 2 & 3 to boilpot
boil away

If you are interested in one pot brewing, search this site for "Brew in a Bag".

Latest posts

Back