Boiling Removes Chlorine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure your water supply uses chlorine and not chloramine, that's a newer additive that's being used a lot of places. It's nasty stuff, won't boil off like chlorine...

"After filtration, one part of fluoride, chlorine, and phosphate per million parts of water is added into the water."

Official site says chlorine.

Chloramine is not generically called "chlorine" is it?

Actually, yes, they're both "chlorine"... traditionally they treat water with CL (free chlorine), whereas chloramine is NH2Cl (doesn't dissipate as fast). I just wanted you to check as many people assume their water is treated with the traditional chlorine... I think 3 minutes is plenty for free chlorine. Chloramine requires treatment with chemicals to remove.

I read to add a campden tablet if your water smells of chlorine or chloramine. The book (How to Brew) said you probably don't need it at all, but if you don't wish to take a chance, the tablets work perfectly and are cheap. I bought a bottle of what appears to be a good 50-100 tablets for just a couple bucks at the local brewing store.

No. chloramine is not a generic name for chlorine, but fluoride and phosphates are compounds that contain fluorine and phosphorous respectively. Chloramine is a compound that contains chlorine.
jrakich87's comment was very valid as chloramine (a valid source of chlorine) requires different treatment to remove the chlorine.

-a.

Latest posts

Back