Boiling Pot Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeeferMan

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new. :)

Does this look like a good pot for doing full boils? I just did my first brew (an extract + specialty grains amber ale). I'd like to add some equipment piece-by-piece but I want things that are versatile that I can use as I grow as a home brewer.

It's a 36-quart, 20 gauge stainless steel number. I thought the price for $65 with free shipping was good, and they are even offering a 15% discount, making the total $55.25!

Stockpot & Lid - 36 Qt. Stainless Steel

Thanks and your input is appreciated!

Are you doing this on a stovetop? My advice is to invest in a turkey fryer setup. This is the perfect time of year to buy one. For the price of that pot, you can get a burner AND a bigger pot.

Yeah, I was thinking stove top.

What you are saying makes sense though. Which one is good? Bayou Classic with aluminum? Is 30 quarts big enough?

Yeah, I was thinking stove top.

What you are saying makes sense though. Which one is good? Bayou Classic with aluminum? Is 30 quarts big enough?

YES! I have the Bayou Classic SP 10 that I use with my thick-walled 18" diameter 60 qt. aluminum pot. Works great. I very seldom stir, and other than adding hops and checking my float level, pretty much leave it alone. The large diameter (and thickness) of the pot seems to prevent scorching.

You CAN get by with 30 qts, but 60 will probably last you as long as you're brewing. Bayou classic is awesome. Lately I've been using the SQ14 with great results.

Back