Boiling outside in cold weather

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andysim

Reaction score
Should I expect a lot more volume loss when boiling outdoors in 25 degree temps?

I have a 20" diameter, 15 gallon pot. I usually have a rolling boil going.

I normally start with 8.25-8.5 gallons of wort and finish with about 6 gallons.

I finished on Saturday with about 4.5 gallons.

Yes, I would. I am brewing in my garage, prob around 40 or so, and my boiloff rate has been higher this year. Temperature is one factor for how much evaporation you get. I would bump up the preboil at bit or invest in a sight gauge. There are some weldless ones out there that arent too expensive. That way you can track boil off better and adjust how vigorous the boil is. This is my next investment

If what Chode (he named himself...I didn't :) ) said regarding sight glass doesn't work out then you could always just pre boil a few gallons of water and keep it in reserve for top off at the end of the boil.

If what Chode (he named himself...I didn't :) ) said regarding sight glass doesn't work out then you could always just pre boil a few gallons of water and keep it in reserve for top off at the end of the boil.

:off:

Its a nickname I've had since a kid, b/c of my last name :drunk:

You have to account for more loss in cold weather. Cold air does not hold moisture like warm air so you have more evaporation when you heat the wort.

Back