Boiling bittering hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
so my boils take like 3 and a half hours to go from 14 gallons to 10. i usually just eyeball the hop addition when i think i got about an hour left on the boil.

i just put the spurs to a batch, and wondering what i'd expect from just throwing the bittering hops in when it comes to a boil. i have a second addition planed for like 10 minutes. but it'd be more convienent if i could just toss the bittering hops in at first boil.

i've heard of 90 minutes boils, but not sure about 3 hour ones, lol.. :mug:

Thanks!

Eventually you're going to pound every bit of AA out of the hops (and cook off most of the lighter compounds) - they can't contribute bitterness indefinitely :) I would be surprised if one could get more out of pellets - at least free swimming ones - beyond, say, 90 minutes.

I'd stick with a more conventional schedule and consider the first 2 hours a pre-boil-down so you don't burn every bit of character out of the hops...

Cheers!

damn, should have checked my alerts sooner...lol, just came to boil and i tossed my bag in... :) well it's another brown rice stout, but this time with some caraviennea(SP) to smooth out the transition better then my last one i liked so much.

so it's a grain forward recipe anyway, see how the hops work out.

Thanks for the reply! :mug:

(my take away is i'll get maximum bittering and, no 'aroma'?)

First respectable concise hit on the topic... Hop Utilization Page
There's a definite plateau around 90-100 minutes...
1611108679704.png

Cheers!

First respectable concise hit on the topic... Hop Utilization Page
There's a definite plateau around 90-100 minutes...
View attachment 715146

Cheers!

hmm, that was a weird quote...

so it's not going to start going down, and i should get some flavor from the 10 minute cascade addition..in addition to the bittering of the 3 hour bravo hops....

oh, and @camonick , i fly sparge. so that 10 gallons is slowly poured over the grain til i reach my pre boil volume....

Back