Quantcast

Boiling bittering hops

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
so my boils take like 3 and a half hours to go from 14 gallons to 10. i usually just eyeball the hop addition when i think i got about an hour left on the boil.

i just put the spurs to a batch, and wondering what i'd expect from just throwing the bittering hops in when it comes to a boil. i have a second addition planed for like 10 minutes. but it'd be more convienent if i could just toss the bittering hops in at first boil.

i've heard of 90 minutes boils, but not sure about 3 hour ones, lol.. :mug:

Thanks!

day_trippr

"Now brewing exclusively with Hydrohydroxic Acid"
Reaction score
Eventually you're going to pound every bit of AA out of the hops (and cook off most of the lighter compounds) - they can't contribute bitterness indefinitely :) I would be surprised if one could get more out of pellets - at least free swimming ones - beyond, say, 90 minutes.

I'd stick with a more conventional schedule and consider the first 2 hours a pre-boil-down so you don't burn every bit of character out of the hops...

Cheers!

OP
bracconiere

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
damn, should have checked my alerts sooner...lol, just came to boil and i tossed my bag in... :) well it's another brown rice stout, but this time with some caraviennea(SP) to smooth out the transition better then my last one i liked so much.

so it's a grain forward recipe anyway, see how the hops work out.

Thanks for the reply! :mug:

(my take away is i'll get maximum bittering and, no 'aroma'?)

OP
bracconiere

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First respectable concise hit on the topic... Hop Utilization Page
There's a definite plateau around 90-100 minutes...
View attachment 715146

Cheers!

hmm, that was a weird quote...

so it's not going to start going down, and i should get some flavor from the 10 minute cascade addition..in addition to the bittering of the 3 hour bravo hops....

oh, and @camonick , i fly sparge. so that 10 gallons is slowly poured over the grain til i reach my pre boil volume....

Latest posts