Boiled with Lid on.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartangreen

Reaction score
Before finding this forum i've brewed two batches of beer from extract kits.
Both times I boiled the wart with the lid on for the amount of time designated in the recipe.

Are these two batches going to taste bad? I did an Red Ale and a Stout.

Thanks

Usually it isn't necessary to boil extract kits. What kit did you use?
Boil off is rather important in AG for several reasons. One is to thicken the wort to achieve the correct starting gravity. Another reason is to drive off DMS which will cause an off flavor. Extract has all ready been boiled off to correct gravity and has also lost its DMS. Bottom line, boiling with your lid one isn't a great habit to acquire in brewing, but in this case I doubt your beer will be greatly affected.
Don't drink them all. Keep some so you can later taste 'back' and see how much you have improve in a couple of brews.

Probably not or at least not real bad. The reason that you are told to leave the lid off when boiling is that there are compounds in the wort that form DMS which will make your beer taste like cooked vegetables. When the manufacturer makes the extract, most of the precursor chemicals will be boiled off for you.

Hey Spartangreen!
Fellow Spartan and Michigander here.

I've read both that it is OK and not OK to boil extract kits with the lid on (I'm assuming you used a Brewers Best, Northern Brewer, or similar kit that actually has a boil). I just split the difference and leave my lid half on. Keeps some heat in and allows the bad stuff (if there is any) to escape.

In terms of quality, I doubt you hurt your beer much, if at all. If you keep your fermentation temps in the correct range and follow good sanitation practices, I bet you're golden.

Have no fear, I made that mistake on my first beer as well and it turned out great. I partially had the lid on and nothing was detectable. As an earlier poster stated, the extract has already been boiled so you shouldn't have to worry too much about DMS. Of course, get in the habit of keeping the lid off though. No need to invite the potential for an unwanted problem later on.

Sit back and relax, you've got 2 beers on the way!

Usually it isn't necessary to boil extract kits. What kit did you use?
Boil off is rather important in AG for several reasons. One is to thicken the wort to achieve the correct starting gravity. Another reason is to drive off DMS which will cause an off flavor. Extract has all ready been boiled off to correct gravity and has also lost its DMS. Bottom line, boiling with your lid one isn't a great habit to acquire in brewing, but in this case I doubt your beer will be greatly affected.
Don't drink them all. Keep some so you can later taste 'back' and see how much you have improve in a couple of brews.

It's not always true that you don't need to boil an extract kit. That might be true for pre-hopped extract and no specialty grains. I did Northern Brewer extract kits and they require boiling.

I don't know what DMS will do to your beer. Let them ride and see. Maybe you could do the same recipe and see what the difference is.

Maybe it will just change the flavor so that the beer is no longer to "style".

They were "True Brew", brand kits, and the recipe called for 1/2 hour boiling, after adding the extract to the steeped grains.

With those kits,yo steep the grains for 20-30 mins at the specified temp,& get through the hot break after removing the grains & bringing to a boil. But I add only part of the extract at that point (the 30 minute boil you mentioned). Then do the hop additions. Add remaining malts at flame out. Cleaner flavor & lighter color that way.

Latest posts

Back