Boiled more than 2 cups h20 for priming. big deal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnbrain

Reaction score
I decided to use dme to bottle condition my oatmeal stout. At 2 cups of water it just seemed so thick. Without checking here first I added about one or 2 cups more.

We'll this mess up bottle conditioning? I can't imagine a significant after 5.5 gallons of beer get racked onto it, but we're all gung ho for the perfect beer.

Thoughts?

P.S. Usually we're nice and warm here in North County San Diego but it's been colder. Rats this might take a while to carb up. Anything wrong with opening just one after one week?

The oatmeal stout should have enough flavoring
That little dilution shouldn't be noticed.

Open a beer a week the taste as the carbonation and flavor matures.

Enjoy!

Thanks. Interesting that even diluting the priming solution can affect the flavor profile. Makes sense. Rats. Tasted great in the hydrometer tube. Hope I don't notice. I won't make this mistake twice.

Would love to hear about your amber cerveza. I've considered trying a negra modelo type Vienna but using the white labs cream ale ale/lager yeast due to so Cal temperatures.

Can't imagine that you will be able to detect the difference unless you made a seriously large batch of sugar water.

Should not affect the carbing one bit.

Anything wrong with opening just one after one week?

You can open one up after a week but expect it to be totally flat and have a taste that will be nowhere near what it will be like after proper conditioning.

It will probably take more that a month before the complex flavors in your stout meld together into what is intended.

Can't imagine that you will be able to detect the difference unless you made a seriously large batch of sugar water.

Should not affect the carbing one bit.

Thanks. I think it was about 4 cups. Oh well. Nothing I can do at this point and i'm sure it will be fine. I'll holds off on opening for a few Weeks.

Back