Boiled Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewStooge

Reaction score
Probably a RDWHAHB moment here, but just just thought I'd check. During my mash today (2 Row + Crystal + 5.2 Stabilizer) I went to raise the temp by a couple degrees (mash in kettle) and got distracted, ended up boiling the grain for probably 10-15 minutes. Am I looking at mass tannins (I hope not due to the PH) and if so anything I can do to minimize/mask them some?

Edit: it was pretty late in the mash, had 8 minutes left of 75 when I noticed it.

If it wasn't for too long, you will probably be ok. Its a lot worse to boil steeping grains since the water to grain ratio is a lot higher. The worst thing about it is that by boiling, you performed a "mashout". Since it was so late in the mash, I doubt you will notice a marked decrease in fermentability.

The good thing is that a decoction pretty much boils part of the mash. I've never done a full triple decoction mash, but I will frequently pull a small decoction for a mashout on Hefeweizens.

The only issue I see (besides perhaps a few but minimal tannins) is that if you brought the mash to a boil before conversion you could have accidently done an early mash-out.

What was the temperature before the "incident"? If you were already at saccrification temps, I wouldn't worry. If you were going from a protein rest to a saccrification rest temp, then I'd worry. If you were just boosting the temp from 150 to 155, and missed it and boiled the mash, you would probably be fine.

Edit- Beat by Ed, and the edit by the OP says it was at the end of the mash. In that case, no worries at all!

Good deal, and thanks. Be done with the boil in about 20 here, chill, pitch, then I think it's time for a swim. 90 degrees here plus a boiling kettle makes for a roasted brewstooge. :D

If you do have a tannin problem, which you should have been able to taste in the cooled wort, you can use gelatin to remove it.

I'll have to remember that in the future, picked some up today for insurance since there was a little bit of tannin quality which I'm guessing might get more pronounced once the sugar is gone, nothing overwhelming though. Wait and see at this point, thanks again. :mug:

Back