Boil with out the lid??? Why haven't I seen this before??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ottis

Reaction score
I've been an extract brewer for about two years now, my beer is good but I always thought it could be better. I've always had a hit-and-miss off flavor that I couldn't figure out, but I've stuck with it.

The other day I was reading about a recipe for Rolling Rock Pale Lager, it said to boil with the lid mostly on because RR has DMS, an "off flavor", in it as part of its unique style...... Which led to a google search and the "Don't Boil With A Lid on the Pot!" thing.

<RANT>

WTH?? Don't boil with a lid on?? I'm a bit upset and excited at the same time about this little discovery, excited because this might well be where that "odd taste" in my brew was coming from. And a bit pi**ed 'cause I have never read this in any of the kit instructions I've used, nor in any post about brewing I've read. (up till now)

I just went back and reread the "Beginner Extract Brewing How To" thread, I didn't see this little tip, even used the "Ctrl+f" search and found no mention of a lid. I'm sure this is one of those things that people who do know just assume everybody knows...

Please correct this omission for other new brewers like me.

Now that I know about this, I did a forum search and found various threads about why you shouldn't boil with a lid on, and just what DMS is. But it seems that I managed to never be around when this was being discussed.

</RANT>

Thank you for your patience while I vented. Happy Brew Year!!!

And don't worry, I'm not trying to make a Rolling Rock Clone, Just exploring different styles.

I find it remarkable that you didn't learn the hard-way not to boil with the lid on...I think it takes one boil-over to learn that lesson - you must have a disproportionately large kettle :mug:

I think it's in the bible, btw - several times.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that DMS is not an issue with extracts. When I brewed extract beers I was still using my kitchen stove, and I usually kept the lid on about half way so the steam could escape. Using the lid helped get the boil going faster.

The other day I was reading about a recipe for Rolling Rock Pale Lager, it said to boil with the lid mostly on because RR has DMS, an "off flavor", in it as part of its unique style...... .

DMS is a beer flaw and tastes & smells like creamed corn.

Rolling Rock, is served in GREEN bottles, which lends itself to being light struck or skunked (another flaw) a flavor profile of which it is so proud.

I only use the lid during the ramp up to boil. That's it.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that DMS is not an issue with extracts. When I brewed extract beers I was still using my kitchen stove, and I usually kept the lid on about half way so the steam could escape. Using the lid helped get the boil going faster.

I would tend to agree with you also.
It is more a concern with all grain brewing, but I'm not fully sure if it needs to be addressed with extract brewing.

I find it remarkable that you didn't learn the hard-way not to boil with the lid on...I think it takes one boil-over to learn that lesson - you must have a disproportionately large kettle :mug:
I have an old under powered electric range in my brew room, almost wont boil with no lid, esp in cold weather. 4 gal cast aluminum pot, probably 60 or 70 years old.

I think it's in the bible, btw - several times.

Well I'm not a religious person, thanks anyway... ;)

Jk, anyway... I'm getting a new brew pot and LP burner out of my tax return this year. Maybe a brew-bible too.

I've been brewing seriously for about a year now (all extract, but that's going to change this year), and I've also been struggling with what I consider to be off-flavors. Something else I highly recommend is controlling your fermentation temps. The last two batches I made were by far my best, and the only change I made was to ferment in a swamp cooler. Keeping the temps in the mid-60s instead of the 70s resulted in a cleaner flavor. Also, if you don't already do it, I definitely recommend leaving the beer in the primary for at least 3 or 4 weeks to let the yeast clean everything up.

There are so many factors that affect the final output, but constantly working to make a better beer is the fun part of the hobby!

It's where you stick the fermenter in a Rubbermaid bin, fill the bin with water, then drop in some frozen water bottles occasionally to cool it down. Since it was August here, I rotated out 3 water bottles twice a day and that seemed to work pretty well.

I'm going to try that! I have one 10 gal rubbermaid tub I soak bottles in, their cheap, I'll grab a couple more for swamp coolers.

I have a old frige that I use to lager in, it has a greenhouse thermostat (it doesn't too good) to regulate the temp. My Ales I usually just leave under the kitchen table. I'm getting a new thermostat along with a brew pot and some other stuff out of my tax return.

Yeah, if you could get that fridge going that would be even better! I just got a freezer for Christmas that's going to be my fermentation freezer for a while. I'm going to build a temp controller for it (the eBay temp controller DIY on here). Can't wait to brew again to try it out!

i have boiled with the lid on all the time.. but I have a 6 gallon pot.. so no overs

This is confusing me. When cooking, do you boil with the lid on (outside of pressure cooking)? No, you need to see what's happening in there...same deal here.

Trying to picture boiling pasta with a lid on and how messy it'd be when it blew the lid...

I keep the lid mostly on till boil (but i check it continually) and then open it up not quite halfway for the duration. Never had a boil over (6.5 gals in an 8 gal pot) and never had any DMS overtones. I typically start with 6.5 and end up with a little over 5.5 gals in the fermentor.

search it on HBT

I hope you didn't strain yourself typing that.

95% of the time if I have a question I do just that, not that it matters now anyway, I hit some ice on the way to work this morning and rolled my pickup down over a hill, so there goes my homebrew budget for the year..
2s8l4ys.jpg

I'll put a lid on until I get the water temp gets to where I want it at then it's off for the rest of the time.

?

i know plenty of people here in WI that boil with lid on or mostly on. Otherwise you'd evap a ton, especially in winter. these are good brewers too, one guy consistantly wins bock category in state fair competition

Man, Ottis, that sucks! Did you make it out okay?
Nothing a few homebrews wont fix, I was wearing my seatbelt and wasn't going very fast. What sucks is I only had liability coverage, and I'll have to borrow money against my tax return to have something to drive to work..
It was the first time I had put one upside down, it wasn't fun....

......THIS book is a must read.

Thanks for the link!

Back