Boil problem - adverse effects?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcray

Reaction score
During my brew day yesterday I ran into a problem once I started boiling. I didn't have any issues getting the water up to temp for mashing or sparging, but my burner was unable to get hot enough to get a true rolling boil. The stand I am using has nothing to shield the burners from the wind and I was only able to get a slight, very weak boil going. After about 25 or so minutes of this I realized I was getting nowhere and broke out another burner I had sitting in the garage that I used a while back. I was able to get a strong boil out of that one for the remaining time. I ended up with 5 gallons into the fermenter and a OG of 1.058 on my AHS scottish 70 shilling ale. Is this initial weak boil going to cause a problem with the finished product?

What was the temperature of the "weak" part of the boil?

If you were above 212F you're fine. Wort needs a higher temp than water to accomplish a vigorous rolling boil. However, if you were above 212F I wouldn't worry. I've made several batches just like that where the temperature of the wort read over 212F but it was not vigorously boiling. The beer turned out good.

In all honesty I wouldn't worry too much about this. You might get a tiny bit less Alpha Acids from your bittering hops. And by tiny I mean not even noticable.

Your beer will be fine.

It's fine... you boiled enough off to get your final volume and the temperature was high enough to destroy DMS precursors...

--probably-- :mug:

What was the temperature of the "weak" part of the boil?

If you were above 212F you're fine. Wort needs a higher temp than water to accomplish a vigorous rolling boil.

The thermometer showed 206, but there was definitely movement in the pot. It usually shows around 210 when the rolling boil starts.

According to the intarwebs water boils at ~206.2F at your elevation. I doubt there will be any ill effects from a weak boil early on. The last 35 min at a rolling boil should be plenty to drive off the DMS. RDWHAHB. :tank:

Back