Boil Off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogue14

Reaction score
I am a new brewer but have helped a friend brew/consume for a number of years. I am currently on my second batch and love the new hobby. I am reading a lot on HBT and listening to podcasts on the BN.

In each of my two brews I have ended up with only 3.5 gallons of worth after starting with 6 gals of water and have had to add water to correct . I didn't have any boil overs in the first batch but I did a 90 min boil. (I know no reason for a 90 min boil for an extract brew- noob). The 2nd brew had a small boil over maybe a couple cups worth but only a 60 min boil.

Am I boiling too intensely? Should I get a 9 gal kettle instead of the 7 gal that I have now?

My first IPA turned out fine. My second brew a hef is going to come out at about 6.11% abv. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

That's ALOT of water boiled off. Are you boiling outside? It could be you are boiling too intensely. Try getting a nice rolling boil and not a super rapid/violent one. Have your friend come over and see if he notices you doing anything that might cause it to happen. I would definately try turning the flame down during the boil.

I don't think your kettle has anything to do with it. Make yourself a measuring stick and see how long it takes you to get down to 5 gallons. That will help prevent boiling off too much water.

I do believe you're boiling to vigorously. Turn it down a bit.
But still get a bigger kettle. Really you should be starting with 7+ gallons boiling down to about 5.5gal

Thanks. I am boiling outside with a Bayou Classic. On my next brew I'll turn it down a bit and try for a rolling boil as suggested.

jetmac said:
I do believe you're boiling to vigorously. Turn it down a bit.
But still get a bigger kettle. Really you should be starting with 7+ gallons boiling down to about 5.5gal

He's doing extract according to his post so he wouldn't boil the full volume.

I go balls out till I get a boil, then literally just a hair from off and it is a nice steady rolling boil. Even with that, I still loose 1.25 gallons over 1 hour. This has a lot to do with my humidity here in Texas.

I have been boiling full volume boils expecting to end up with 5 gallons.

Is there any advantage to boiling less than full volume boils?

I have been boiling full volume boils expecting to end up with 5 gallons.

Is there any advantage to boiling less than full volume boils?

No, absolutely not!

You're fine. I start with 6.5 gallons to end up with 5 gallons. If you're boiling off more than 1-1.25 gallons per hour, you can turn it down! You want a rolling boil, but unless you live in the desert, a gallon per hour is probably a good bet.

6.1 is pretty high. Is there anything I can do at this point? Can I add a bit more water? It has been in the fermenter for about 7 days.

He's doing extract according to his post so he wouldn't boil the full volume.

6.1 is pretty big for a hef. You're definitely boiling off a lot of water.

I have no idea what you guys are saying? I see no problem with starting with 6.5 gallons, boiling down to 5 gallons over an hour (which I do every week). What's the problem?

Over boiling is a common mistake for most brewers when they get the monster camp burners!

You really should shoot for between 12 - 15% boil off per hour. Keep the flame roaring as you are bringing it to a boil, but then back the flame down enough just to keep the boil. As long as there is a deformation of the surface (a bulge where the bubbles are) you are all good! More wort post-boil = more beer in the end! (of course you can under boil, but that's more of a simmer!)

He said he was doing an extract which typically involves boiling only half of the ending volume and topping off with water that's why I'm wondering about the large boil.

He said he was doing an extract which typically involves boiling only half of the ending volume and topping off with water that's why I'm wondering about the large boil.

Well, boiling a smaller amount is commonly done by brewers who don't have the ability to boil the whole volume (and chill it!). But it makes a better beer, and should be done wherever possible!

I'm not sure about where Lynwood is, I think it's near Seattle. Doesn't altitude increase your boil off due to decreased partial pressure. When I add top-off water I shoot for target OG not volume.

I'm saying that 6.1% is too high alcohol for a hefeweisen. And therefor he's boiling off more water than he should.

Ah. According to the BJCP, up to 5.6% ABV is allowed, but I've never heard anyone complain when that's exceeded by .5% honestly. That seems sort of crazy to me. I bet I've missed BJCP guidelines by 0.5% or so a time or two, but no one called me out in a forum about it.

Thanks Yooper. It's tasting ok so far so I don't think I will lose any sleep over it.

Yooper said:
Well, boiling a smaller amount is commonly done by brewers who don't have the ability to boil the whole volume (and chill it!). But it makes a better beer, and should be done wherever possible!

I've never heard of anyone doing this but now that I think about it I don't see why not! Interesting..

Ah. According to the BJCP, up to 5.6% ABV is allowed, but I've never heard anyone complain when that's exceeded by .5% honestly. That seems sort of crazy to me. I bet I've missed BJCP guidelines by 0.5% or so a time or two, but no one called me out in a forum about it.

I wasn't calling him out. But the OP made it sound like he was wondering whether or not he was over boiling. Which was my point.

There's nothing wrong with a vigorous long boil in extract, but it's possible that the shape of his kettle or how strong of a boil he's doing is blowing off more water than is ideal.

The indication I was given (again as posed by his question) is that he made a hefe that's looking to end up at 6.1%. Again. Not that this a big deal, .5% is not that much, but it's an indication to his OP.

Back