Boil kettle choice for eBIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chapman_164

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between the Bayou 1316 and Bayou 1064 for a boil kettle for eBIAB. I'll be silver soldering one of the Brew Hardware 2" TC radius faced flanges for the element. Can anyone confirm for me if this flange will fit below the lip on either or both of these kettles or will the lip and bottom radius interfere with the flange? Thanks.

I did a weldless fitting on a Bayou 1316 and I had room to put a 1/2 SS washer from bargain fittings on it. I think you could do it with 2" but it would be a tight fit.

If I were you since you are doing eBIAB I would get a Bayou Classic 1160 with steaming basket. You will not have to work around a flange for the element, however you will have a basket that will keep your bag off of the element and a handy handle that you can attach your hoist/pulley to when you want to drain/squeeze/sparge, your grains after mashing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with mcgimpkins. The lower flange is for a false bottom and is not going to be used in BIAB. Plus it could get in the way. Remember that metal does not make infinitely sharp bends, so there will be radius well below the flange.

-BD

I just upgraded my rig so perhaps my experience will assist: Addressing your kettle choice; If you are going EBIAB then I don't see a reason to spend the extra money for the tri-clad bottom (1316). And, while the 1064 has a spigot and the calibrated marks, I would actually recommend the standard 1060. It has no lip to be concerned with, is over 40 bucks cheaper and I simply couldn't think of a better 62 qt EBIAB kettle; It is light but sturdy, easy to punch holes in with both a step drill as well as a cheap Harbor Freight punch for the myriad of spigots, recirculating arms, nozzles and probes you will inevitably be installing. And even tho u didn't ask, I will also tell you that I bought Brew Hardware's 1.5" (yes the 1.5" fits snugly, but fits) solder TC kit/hot pod enclosure and a 5500w ripple and really like it. It was easy to solder and looks better than a weld IMHO. BH's service was great too. I had a 4400w (weldless element) kettle for 3 years and loved it, but the ability to now remove the element for cleaning is waaaay to convenient. One last bit of advice, whatever TC / Kettle configuration you go with, before you drill, make sure your TC fits on your kettle WITH enough clearance to accommodate the clamp and enclosure so it doesn't hit the surface that your kettle rests on. I actually saw a post where someone mounted their TC too close to the bottom of the kettle and the clamp was hitting the table that he brewed on.

Thanks for all of the great feedback and ideas. PBrew2, looks like you have the exact setup I'm shooting for.

More pics of hot pod and inside of kettle. Good luck.

How is your basket going to fit with the barb fitting sticking out at the top of the kettle? Just curious

BTW i have the same controller from High Gravity. Works great. Dave is the man!

I'm having a custom SS basket made by Utah Bio Diesel. The diameter will be 12.5" with plenty of clearance. The pics are a little deceptive, that barb really doesn't stick out that far. In fact, it's the 2" temp probe that causes the biggest clearance issue.

Zgja, totally love the controller, I did a few test runs and the temps are held within a degree while recirculating. I had an EBCII for about three years and absolutely loved it. Dave has always been great to work with.

Back