Bodatious Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout clone attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extra_medium

Reaction score
Hi,
Has anyone tried Hoppin' Frog's Bodatious Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout? i emailed the brewery and did not get any help. i was wondering if anyone has had luck trying to clone it. the following is my best guess for a 5g batch.

6 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 43.64 %
2 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 14.55 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Barley, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 10.91 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 10.91 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 7.27 %
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3.64 %
1.00 oz Chinook Pellet [10.70 %] (60 min) Hops 28.4 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles Leaf [4.90 %] (15 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
8.0 oz Brown Sugar, Dark (50.0 SRM) Sugar 3.64 %
8.0 oz Molasses (80.0 SRM) Sugar 3.64 %
4.0 oz Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 1.82 %

any advice would be great,
thanks!

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher, eh? That's one hell of a beer. I hate their advertising though. The bottles look like crap. But the beer is great. This is my favorite one out of their lineup. I have no idea other than a big ass Russian Imperial. Good luck. Let us know how this turns out and compare it. :mug:

I've never had it, but since it took a gold medal at GABF this year, folks like you will be wanting to brew it.

Could be a job for BYO's Replicator......

Well, i have tweeked my resipe and have come up with this:
Recipe: DR Chocolate Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout
Brewer: Dan
Asst Brewer:
Style: Russian Imperial Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Boil Size: 11.45 gal
Estimated OG: 1.110 SG
Estimated Color: 47.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 40.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4 lbs Dark Dry Extract (17.5 SRM) Dry Extract 9.94 %
25 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 62.11 %
2 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.97 %
2 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4.97 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2.48 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 2.48 %
4.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 0.62 %
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 22.7 IBU
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (30 min) Hops 17.4 IBU
3 lbs Brown Sugar, Dark (50.0 SRM) Sugar 7.45 %
2 lbs Molasses (80.0 SRM) Sugar 4.97 %
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale
1 Pkgs Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787) Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 31.25 lb
----------------------------
thoughts anyone?

I love that beer. Probably my favorite commercial beer.
The FG on that beer is crazy. 1.038 if I remember the bottle correctly. It definitely has plenty of body. You can almost chew it.

As for the recipe. I think you have a good start. The mash temp needs to be moderate to high to get that high FG. I think I would use Special B of some dark caramel malt instead of the molasses. I'm not sure the molasses flavors are there and the simple sugar would dry it out some. I think the OG was 1.1.

Actually Brewpastors version of the 08-08-08 RIS that I got the privilege to sample is pretty close but not as full bodied. The other examples I tried including my own were not near as flavorful. Perhaps starting with the 08-08-08 recipe, adding a couple pounds of Oatmeal and bumping the gravity to 1.1 would get pretty close.

Craig

well, my efficiency was way off. i could not keep my mash temp high enough; rectangle cooler was loosing heat from the top seal (grain had me near capacity). OG 1.085 FG 1.006
i did not use any patent black and bumped the oatmeal to 3 lbs.
it is creamy smooth and the roasty flavor is subtle with a dark chocolate and hint of molasses. in short-i am very happy with it. i had included special B in my primary recipe and am not sure why i neglected it but will definitely include it in the next batch.
thanks for the comments

I wanted to bump this thread in order to renew interest. B.O.R.I.S. the Crusher is turning my wine-avid friends into beer enthusiasts! I really want to be able to brew some faximile of this stout.....I'm counting on you, and the thousands of years of experience that you bring to this forum, dear HBTers, to make my dreams come true and come up with a recipe.

Cheers,

Mag

I couldn't get the OG up high enough without getting a "hot" alcohol taste. it was still good, best part about attempting this clone is that no matter what you'll end up with a tasty stout that will put you back down in your seat after one or two. :rockin:

:mug:

Hi,
Has anyone tried Hoppin' Frog's Bodatious Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout? i emailed the brewery and did not get any help. i was wondering if anyone has had luck trying to clone it. the following is my best guess for a 5g batch.

6 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 43.64 %
2 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 14.55 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Barley, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 10.91 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 10.91 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 7.27 %
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3.64 %
1.00 oz Chinook Pellet [10.70 %] (60 min) Hops 28.4 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles Leaf [4.90 %] (15 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
8.0 oz Brown Sugar, Dark (50.0 SRM) Sugar 3.64 %
8.0 oz Molasses (80.0 SRM) Sugar 3.64 %
4.0 oz Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 1.82 %

any advice would be great,
thanks!

I can't give you the exact recipe, but I'll give some tips...

There's no Flaked barley, Munich malt, Brown sugar, molasses, or milk sugar (it's an oatmeal stout, not milk stout) in BORIS. Belgian Pale malt is inappropriate as well.

This recipe might also benifit from Black patent and Special B.

Try an English ale yeast.

It's an English stout, so Engish hops would be more appropiate. However, GNB would be great for the bittering addition.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f29/pro-brewer-ohio-93698/

Back