Blueberry wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dippmaster

Reaction score
Heh, my family has been getting allot of fresh picked blueberrys lately. Any thoughts on making them a wine?
I have the EC-1118 wine yeast.

I just started a batch, and asked the exact same question about a month ago. Here is what I based my recipe off of:
Blueberry wine

5 gallon recipe

Blue berry juice (primary)
Frozen blueberries (secondary)
1 lb raisin
2 1/2 lemons juiced
8 lb sugar
1 tbs of black tea
2 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
5 tsp yeast nutrient
2 1/2 tsp yeast energizer
Water to 5 gallons
Yeast (red star Cote De-blanc or Lalvin RC 212 would be great choices)

Throw the must together and save the frozen blueberries for after you rack to secondary. For the first 24 hours add in 5 crushed Camden tablets and leave the yeast and pectic enzyme out. After 12 hours mix well and add pectic enzyme After 24 hours mix well and then pitch the yeast. Mix daily for the first 3 days and then after a week transfer to secondary with the frozen blueberries thawed and add airlock. Then let this sit until the fruit drops to the bottom or after a month or two. Rack again and then rack every 30 days till no more sediment drops to the bottom. At that point bottle and enjoy or stabilize with sulfites and sorbate and sweeten to taste. If not back sweetened then this recipe should run dry even after fermentation picks up from you adding the blueberries to secondary. it should be right at about 12% ABV. Should improve greatly at around the 6th month and even better after a year.

The only I did different is I used limes instead of lemons, didn't use tea, energizer, or nutrient, and I made it to one gallon. I literally started it two days ago, and it seems to be kicking just fine.

Tonight, I just started a 6 gallon batch. I'm a complete noob at this (4 gallons of apricot racked into the secondary at the moment), so, use my recipe at your own peril:

18 pounds fresh picked blueberries, frozen, thawed, smooshed.
11+ pounds sugar
1 tsp tannin
1+ a bit tbsp yeast nutrient
1+ a bit tbsp pectic enzyme
1+ a bit acid blend
6 campden tablets
Topped with water to 6 gallons + a little bit to make up for what I predict will be left after squeezing out the bag of blueberry skins
Red Star Pasteur Red yeast (per some chart at the brew store - I haven't added it yet)
I can let you know how it tastes in a few months.

(And, if anyone knows how/why I screwed up - let me know, especially if there's a way to fix it.)

the recipe is a good start. The acid and tannin are something you may adjust just to suit your own preference as you do future batches. Just make sure to aerate well

Back