Blueberry Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mapex

Reaction score
Hey guys,

this was my first attempt for 2 things...well my first at a wheat and also for a fruit flavored beer. so I have a few questions.

Here's my recipe I came up with: (5 gal)

7-lbs of 2 row
3-lbs of Munich Malt
1-lb of Vienna Malt
1-lb of Honey Malt
1-lb of Flaked Wheat
1-oz of Sorachi (60)
1-oz of Northern Brewer (30)
1-oz of Tettanger (15)
US-06 Yeast

I went through my brew cycle as normal without any major hiccups and my primary fermentation took off great! It since has been starting to calm down as brewing took place on Saturday. I planned on leaving it in the primary for 2 weeks as I do with most brews then racking on 10-lbs of blueberries for another 2 weeks in the secondary before bottling.

so my questions are these:

Do I need a full 2 weeks in the primary?
Do I need a full 2 weeks in the secondary?
Should I thaw the blueberries before racking on them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

thaw the blueberries. I would definitely do the 2 weeks in the secondary, probably more if needed as you are introducing sugars to the wort via blueberries. I would probably even go 2 to 3 weeks in the primary. After 2, do a FG sample on one day, wait til the day after next and do it again, if its the same, move to the secondary.

There are a few threads on this, but to sum it up, you want the beer to ferment and have the yeasts clean up after themselves in the primary, and then moved on to secondary.

Back